1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy's dirty little secret!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Folks sending raw capes and skins through ANY TYPE of shipping service, to be fleshed, turned, and salted, should really let their customers know their practices! I just don't get it?

If you put a sign up in your Taxidermy shop stating, " It is our practice to send the skin for your mount VIA UPS, or Fed X, to be fleshed etc at another location. You must sign a waiver stating we are not responsible if your skin gets lost in transit, and may arrive ROTTEN" I wonder if Joe customer would sign this, knowing its "risky practice" at best, and that his Taxidermist just don't feel like spending the 45 min or so to do it their self ?

I have seen WHOLE DEER HEADS, and multiple bears with the head left in, arrive at the flesher/Tanner ! WHOLE FOX, Whole coyotes, etc, etc. Are you kidding me ? I am seriously wondering if there are some of the younger Taxidermist's out there, THAT DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO FLESH AND TURN A CAPE!? That's crazy!

Hey, I can see dropping off fleshing and tanning work. Heck, I have see guys drive hundreds of miles, JUST TO DO THE RIGHT THING, and drop off the skins themselves , RATHER THAN TRUST A POSTAL/SHIPPING COMPANY! Heck, more power to you!

Get mad at me if you want. It is my opinion, that if you ship RAW SKINS through the mail, you are in the wrong profession, and, " you just don't get it! " It is unethical to risk the destruction of a skin THAT DOESNT BELONG TO YOU!

P.S. This opinion isn't going to hurt anyone's fleshing business one little bit! The folks that box up RAW skins and ship them states away, are not going to suddenly have "a change of heart" just because of one persons opinion on Taxinet. Don't even go there!

P.S. Again! If the cape gets ruined during shipment , does the Taxidermist pick up the replacement cost, or do they just tell their customer it slipped, and charge their customer for the replacement !??

harriekat likes this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol its todays taxidermist . We're just lazy anymore. Just look at our forms eyes installed nose grinded out face masks that pop in place. It's just a jigsaw puzzle anymore and anyone can hang a shingle on their door.
    The best part is the work is still crappy cause they lever learned.
    For me I'm a control freak and whatever I can do in house I do JMO

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree with you oldshaver, but then again, I guess I'm old school when it comes to that part of the game. I like to stack as many odds in my favor, as I can. For the most part anymore, the only shippers I use are for supplies to do the job.

4. Aubrey, I also do my own tanning in house.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

We're beating a dead horse on this one. I see signs all over the place as "Taxidermists" yet I haven't figured out why they bother. A deer comes in, the MAY cape it out and freeze it but then send it out to be fleshed, salted, pickled, shaved and tanned before getting it back. They order the form with all the detailing. Stretch the skin over it and then claim to be a "wildlife artist". Why they just find someone else to mount it for them is beyond me.

harriekat likes this.