1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning advice?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Saeto15, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Saeto15

Saeto15 New Member

Hey guys, I'm a beginner and I need some advice on tanning pelts. I've been learning since last summer and I just finished up a new batch of pelts (raccoon, squirrel, and my first coyote) and I'm wondering about the texture of the leather. I have a rabbit pelt I bought from a pro tanner and that's what I'm comparing my pelts to.

I'm fairly sure I'm not degreasing enough, especially on the raccoon, and I think on this batch I went too close and exposed the hair roots while shaving. I haven't had any slippage except on the squirrel. I'm using a trubond 1000b paint-on tan for wallhangers, following the printed instructions that came with the kit. Is this what it's supposed to look like for a paint-on tan? The hides are pliable and the fur is nice, but the leather just looks grody to me.

Images and captions here: http://imgur.com/a/wLsTD

notbuffalobill likes this.
  2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Not enough degreasing , as you stated. While the hides are still slightly damp, start stretching them by hand.
    What appeared to be the coyote, needs more shaving, as do others. I know it's hard to shave the small stuff. A little trick.

After pickling , and before shaving, use a pressure washer. About 1500-2000 psi, using the jet tip, spray ALL AREAS of the skin, trying to overlap the passes. You will see all the membrane plump and become a jelly like substance. After this let it drain for 15-20 min, THEN SHAVE the skins. Everything will shave off with ease! Much easier than regular shaving right out of the pickle.(great for the novice shaver)

Then put your skins back in pickle overnight. Do a touch up shave job. After ALL the membrane etc is off , THEN it is time to degrease. Small game really needs a separate degreasing bath. Trying to degrease in the pickle, really don't cut it.

Make sure the skins are throughly pickled, and degreased! Coon neck needs a real good thinning. Neutralize throughly also. I have started going to 2oz of soda per gallon of warm water(warm water very important in degrease), and 45 min or more.

3. Saeto15

Saeto15 New Member

Thanks for the response! I do have a question though- are you supposed to be able to see the hair follicle like that? I thought I'd shaved too deep on a lot of it. I just got a fleshing knife with this batch and it was the first time using it, so I wasn't sure.

4. https://fleshingmachines.com/tanning-secrets-101-taxidermists-sportsmen-2

[​IMG]

DP

5. notbuffalobill

notbuffalobill New Member

Hey there, I am planning on doing more coons and squirrels at some point. I did do my first coon. I think I defleshed too much like in your pics. Is there a way to tell when you fleshed at a good amount?

the advice given to me on youtube, was to get to the pores and not go deeper. The other was when it is blue. However, it seems this is too much for coons.

the hair was coming through the hide on mine. Also, is there any tips you can give when I am tanning and breaking/stretching it?

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Shaving to the blue is more for game heads. I always shaved greasy critters, my main experience was with bears and hogs with a few coons, coyotes and badgers thrown in, until I could see the hair roots without cutting through them and had no problems. Only when I cut through the hair roots did I have that problem.

7. notbuffalobill

Hey TT, thanks for clarifying. I think the ones that fell out on my hide were probably cut through, the others thankfully stayed in place and have not fallen out lol.

I guess this isn't really a problem for when you stretch it after you tan either unless u cut through the roots?

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Once it dries it tends to lock down the hairs. The ones that are cut through usually will come out when you brush it.

notbuffalobill likes this.
  9. notbuffalobill

thanks for the advice. I will be much more cautious next time now that I know what overfleshing looks like.