1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

You better have a reference picture if you enter this brownie...

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

;D

The judge will say no way!

Was caught in Spain.

2. Holy mackerel man!

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Awesome looking fish. That photos has been run through some serious filtering to make those colors like that though.

4. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Pictures-of-the-Day-Psychedelic-Italian-Brown-Trout/

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't think so Mudbat but you could be right. The species has a huge range and variations from Iceland to Northern Africa across Europe up to Siberia. Even Afghanistan has native brown trout.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Definitely enough carotene in the diet. Must be lots of crustaceans etc. in the diet.

7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Those fish have not. That particular photo has been inhanced IMO. I'm not a pro but I'm pretty decent with editing software. The shadows, highlights and vibrance have been altered I'd say. You can really tell if you expand the photo

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Interesting. You may be right as the guy's sunglasses are showing an excessive amount of red.

9. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Found another one from Italy, maybe it's the pasta sauce? ???

~S

Attached Files:

10. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Outside of the color argument Cecil, I agree that particular one should be retained as reference. The halos look over exaggerated and almost looks like dripping off the fish. I would suspect a judge could view that as over done and not accurate if you mirrored the reference pic without back up proof. Beautiful fish that would present a challenge for sure though.

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Mamma Mia! That's a two spicey fish! I guess one should never day never when it comes to fish colors. That is what is so neat about fish! Even if the first one had the saturation turned up a bit, the red on the sunglasses could be a reflective UV coating. I am guessing they are both within the realm of possibility.

12. 1fish2fish

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151208/6d7b5fc8260f4b0f521530f683cd9b16.jpg

Reference is everything!

Attached Files:

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

There's a brown trout strain in some lakes in Ireland know as the gillaroo strain. The red spots are supposed to be really prominent and they specialize in feeding on snails. They even have a thicker stomach wall to digest the shell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillaroo

That said I know for a fact trout will consume snails as I have found them in the stomachs of my trout. My ponds are loaded with ramshorn snails and another variety that is not as common.

14. 1fish2fish

Ed Walicki has a great segment in his reference DVDs on the way professional photographers go about putting together fish images for magazines. Much seems applicable to this photo. I'm not sure that the fish colors are so fantastic.

One of his. Amazing.

Attached Files:

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Seems like that fish would have had trouble feeding! A good example of how mutations can eventually lead to evolutionary adaptations.

16. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

I wouldn't worry Cecil, I'm sure he would make a 'pig' of himself at the trough. He would have probably been a 'boar' to hang around with though. ;D

~S

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ha Ha!

I'd have to pull his teeth before I froze him up and shipped him to you.

18. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

I think that's the only logical conclusion :)

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Pasta sauce factory upstream? ;D

20. 1fish2fish

You guys are razor sharp.

The colors are definitely natural, not the result of filtering. Just ask JL.