1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Have you ever seen a wood duck with no feet?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tom Maul, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Got ya to look... ;)
    So.... can anyone confirm for me that its possible for a wood duck to show absolutely no feet in flight?... ya know, like when those suckers are goin mach II, slicked down and stream lined as a missile.
    I've found reference of both widgeon and teal showing no feet and I THINK a photo of a woodie, but I'm not absolutely sure. I've looked through thousands of photos.

2. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

YES!!!! but I don't know how to add photos

3. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Appreciate the reply, little Fred. I believe you. I don't know how to include photos, either...LOL
    I think I have a photo confirming it also, but it's very difficult to find a photo that you're totally confident that the angle covers any possibility.
    The reason I ask...
    I detach, inject, and paint my waterfowl feet before mounting. I did this on a wood duck and now I've changed my mind on how I want to mount it (and feet position). I wanna do him screamin in. It's a personal piece, so I'm not jackin around with a customer piece... ;) I can always get another set of woody feet, but I got to thinkin... Do I HAVE to show any feet at all? Actually, I still think it would look best showing a bit of feet, but I just thought I'd ask. There are some incredibly knowledgeable bird folks on here.

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Tom, if it's your own mount do it however you want:D.

You did make me look though. I scanned a hundred or so pics and didn't see a "definite" no feet showing.

I have "donated" feet before and I always just did a decoy mount with the leftover. Just a thought .

5. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

You're right Brooke. And anyway, I've been told by a lot of people that this guy I'm doin it for is an A hole... so who cares!... LOL!
    Thanks for taking the time to look at some of your research and replying.
    BTW... you're work just gets better and better. IMO you're doin top drawer work.
    Hope you're safe and dry down that way.... and I hope that the hurricane doesn't adversely affect your business. There's gonna be some screwed up duck huntin
    down south this year... the least of most folks worries, I realize.