1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sending green capes out for commercial tan?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

This is for all the people that sends there capes out to be tanned. I sent my first 3 out a couple of months ago, I have got them back and mounting them now. I have no real issues with who I sent them to just wanting to weight my options out and see who I like the best. My question is who do you all recommend and why? Plus how do you prep your capes before sending them to the tanner. Thanks for the help.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I avoid shipping green capes. A one day delay in shipping can yield disaster. Rough flesh, turn, salt, dry, then ship is my process.

3. bob watkins

bob watkins Member

x2 on shipping green capes

4. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

So just knock the big stuff off. Then what kind of salt do I need? Then let it set out and dry? I'm asking so I can make sure of what to do I have just now started taxidermy and wanting to make sure I do it right.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do your research there are videos available that will take you from caping to tanned, some even free.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Turn the face and ears, I flesh off all meat, membrane from everywhere. Never lost a cape to slipping that wasn't slipping when it came in. Table salt, 50 lb bags from restaurant depo, $6.00 a bag, dry enough to fold, then ship.

7. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thank you for the help. Where are good places to send them to?

8. JuJu Bee

JuJu Bee New Member

If you are not proficient at turning and fleshing or you lack the time, sending frozen capes is not a issue. Not sure why people say this as FROZEN goods are shipped world wide on a daily basis. Most of your food is shipped around the country. There is a PROPER way to handle and ship perishable goods....learn this and you will be fine.

Taking 8 hours to turn and flesh a cape is a greater risk than shipping it frozen.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you can't turn and flesh capes and need to ship them frozen, than maybe taxidermy isn't for you. How the hell do folks gamble with other's prized possessions and sleep well at night. I guess I wasn't raised that way. We see it every fricken day folks pissing and moaning about shippers taking forever or even misplacing shipments.

10. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I understand the importance and worries of shipping green capes to the tanner. And ill say thank you for the advice I'm getting from people that are trying to help. I don't appreciate the attitude and fowl mouth from 3 bears. With that being said with all respect for all the people who are honestly trying to help. My question in my OP. was (where does everyone send there capes out to be tanned?) I'm looking for another good quality service other than the one that I already use to make sure I'm using the best service possible. Thanks again for the help.

11. ANDY

ANDY Active Member

Why be upset with 3bears, he just gave you a real world answer. Don't expect everybody to say what you want to hear. Most deer seasons are over by Feburary,
    that's when I would be sending them. Shipping green capes in warm weather is just asking for problems.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    OK I'll stop trying to help, just so I don't offend anyone else. :-X :-X

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Wildlife Gallery, H&H Fur Dressing, Carolina Fur Dressing, Yost Fur Dressing, Wilderness East End, to name a few. Check the suppliers section and go to tanneries, plenty there.

14. Where the h*#&l doe it say he can't turn and flesh his capes?? Maybe he just want's to free up time from fleshing, tanning etc. :eek: And what does this have to do about how someone's raised?? And by the way, 3bears response isn't a "real world answer", it's a rhetorical statement. It's his opinion and that's ok, but if your gonna brow beat him, at least answer his question first.

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You have hurted my tender feelings too, LOL!!!

16. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thanks Paul B for the help. And its not the fact that I care to flash and turn my own capes. It comes down that I work 6/7 days a week at my full time job and a wife and 3 kids. The same as everybody else. I don't have a lot of time to start taxidermy and sending them off will free up a lot of time for me to get started. Thanks again for the ones that has helped me and to the ones that understand where I'm coming from.

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jackson, My answer is a "Real world answer" whether you want to admit it or not. The original poster was asking how to prep a cape, that leads one to believe he didn't know, maybe he knows, don't know don't care. Carry on gambling with other's possession, it ultimately makes no difference to my business, other than maybe increasing it. If this place has become the kind of place where we need to "Blow roses up everyone's asses", I guess it isn't for me.
    Joey, Sorry man, I'll try to do better next time.

18. 3bears, How bout just answering the question asked? Again, you gave an opinion. I believe this was the question..."My question is who do you all recommend and why? Plus how do you prep your capes before sending them to the tanner". He didn't asked for an opinion about sending frozen capes to the tanner, nor does it say he doesn't know how to turn and flesh, he's asking for examples of how others prep capes before sending. Hense the part where it says "how do YOU prep YOUR capes"..... It's not about me refusing to admit anything....bottom line is......just answer the simple question. I know you know the answer to his question, you just chose to give a rhetorical statement and you choose not to ship frozen green capes. Thats fine, but again, at least answere his question along with your opinion. And guess what? I agree with you about shipping frozen green capes! I don't ship them either.....I deliver them myself ;)

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I read the question and gave my answer right or wrong. You and him refuse to accept my answer to his question, it was based on many years of experience. By not giving an example of who I trust for capes says that I don't recommend anyone to accept a raw cape.
    If you agree with me than why are we having this discussion?

20. With all the complaining about shipping that goes on here, I thought that I would add that I believe shipping a green cape with all the meat, membrane, fat and fluids would be a lot more expensive weight wise as well as you will need to ship a more speedy way which is more expensive. My fleshed and salted capes don't weigh much and I can send them the slowest and cheapest rate anytime of the year. Most companies I have sent frozen items to, such as turkey heads, ask to ship next day or during winter months.