1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Capes slipping after rinse stage

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bluff top taxidermy, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Not reusing any salt and tried a little splash of bacteriacide from matuskas in the pickle on one but had no idea how much to use since it doesnt really give any instructions. Glenn i dont recall ever saying anything about no stretch, im averaging 22inches out of my 2 yr old deer and 24-25 off my 3 yr old capes, have actually had several over 30inches couple inches below the ears , have tried leaving a little thicker with the same result. That is what i did this past yr was sent all my capes out to a tannery , now that all those are mounted im trying to figure out my problem using spare capes that i bought last fall

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

How are you rehydrating and how are you "washing"?

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Tazzymoto has a good idea. Heck, a bacteriacide added to any solution won't hurt anything. The pickle is the LAST place you need a bacteriacide. The low pH and high salt IS A BACTERIACIDE.

Good luck with this. Between all these brains, someone will post a solution. Keep maticulous records of your next tanning venture, and the ideas folks are giving you, to insure you know where things are going bad.

4. cyclone

That's quite perplexing..

5. Rhino

I know!? Someone taking a fresh look will stumble on something before its all over... You have city water? Well water?

6. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    One thing that helped me when I was struggling with my tan is: after I tan and hang to dry I will let it dry completely so you can get water displacement (I think that's the correct term) before you rehydrate and mount.

7. Rhino

Exactly Dan. That is the best way to go for THIS tan. Pretty sure bluff top is going to do the same.

8. Have well water, which i why i said i was gonna try one cape with my neighbors water and one cape with mine and see if thetes a difference, hung these last ones up for prolly 18 hrs and skin was still dripping wet? Face was somewhat starting to dry but the rest was still fairly wet so idk, not too many people i know hang their capes that long and they nevwr seem to have an issue so not sure. Gonna try not using towels these next few l and maybe try putting a fan on them this go around and see if that helps at all

9. Rhino

Good possibility of water source issues. Lord knows we all have tried here! Never asked about your salt source?

There are literally dozens of things, or combinations of things that could be causing you problems.

Been doing some reading on hair. If the hair is taking way long to dry, the cuticles of the hair are being damaged somewhere in the process. I have ALWAYS BELIEVED that a pH that is too low, damages the hair. Many don't believe that!?

On the other end of the pH scale, baking soda has never damaged any hair! That's why in a PM, I asked if you were using soda ash. Because soda ash WILL CAUSE SLIP if you use too much.

If you don't mind, let us know how this turns out. I would go buy some regular drinking water to use. Not mineral water.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with Liqua-tan. Turns out leaving the hair too wet, too long was the issue. Frank Kotula helped me with that.

11. Best way to get the hair to dry the fastest? I feel like just letting it hang and drip dry wouldnt do much , have been putting mine on a pallet after i tan with a block under it so water can drain out and cape can still breathe but still stays pretty wet

12. Have you tried tumbling in saw dust or corn Cobb grit with a little mineral spirits?

13. Have a tumbler but have yet to use it, capes start slipping 20 minutes after the final rinse so not sure tumbling would help at all

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I put mine in a dryer full of clean towels for 15 to 20 minutes after an hour of hanging to drip dry in front of a fan on the hair side. Skip that last rinse and see what happens.

15. cyclone

Are you letting the capes float in the pickle or are you weighing them down? How often are you checking pH and how often are you stirring?

16. I mean tumble them, do not rinse them .

17. Yes i weigh the capes down, 1st day i check ph every 2 hours and stir, 2nd day do it a few times. So your saying dont rinse the tan off and just tumble and mount like that with the tan still on it?

18. Yes

19. I just read the directions from Tru- Bond. I don't see any where they tell you to rinse the cape except at the end.