1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hide shaving and fingertips, OUCH!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Randy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Is there any kind of glove to protect your fingers when using a circular fleshing machine. I have had my eager beaver for 30 years. Just got a good cut and need stitches this time. i guess my shaving skill are dwindling, so is my thumb. Any advice, any type of glove?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Several supply companies sell kevlar gloves. I have a pair and they work well.

3. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Ansell Hyflex 11-501 is a good glove. PVC coated gives a good grip and its rated for level 4 protection.

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Go onto GOOGLE or even E-Bay and ask for Meat Processing Protective Gloves. They come in a variety of makes - but I prefer the Metal woven into cloth type. Specify that you want the SS woven metal type! They protect a lot of workers that are just beginning or never shaved before, and until they can build up their self confidence and skill working with the circular blade, it will lower their mistakes and keep them safer. They are not cheap tho - a good, stainless steel woven metal meat processing glove may cost you as much as $24 to $35 - but it will absolutely improve your self confidence and skill working with a Shaver!

I had to Consult and train a group of new workers (12) once - and even the Secretary and Office Workers working there jumped in and taught themselves how to shave - with no Blood involved from cuts wearing the glove. You only need one glove (sized for your hand) for operating the Shaver.

5. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Thanks Bruce!

6. same as Tanglewood