1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

van dykes fish skin tan

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by the grey, Sep 5, 2017.

1. the grey

the grey Member

so the directions say mix 7oz or 1 cup to 1qt of water. mix enough to completely cover fish. I bought one bag to try out before I bought more the bag weighs about 2.5lbs. I took out of the freezer to try it out on a 6lb bass. to completely cover this fish in my container it will take around 2.5 gallons or 3. if you do the math 7ozs to 1 qt is gonna be 28 ozs to 1 gallon and 56 for 2 gallons. I woulnt even have enough to do this fish? doesn't seem right at all. hard to believe it would take that much? I wonder if it would even dissolve or be like pan cake mix? any thoughts on this or for those who have used it. the description sounds good but mixture doesn't seem right. thanks

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Put it in a plastic "brining bag" that you can get at the store. They're big enough to brine a turkey, and made of tough plastic. Pull it up so that the air comes up the neck of the back and tie it up. The fish will be surrounded by the liquid, and less liquid will be needed.

~S

3. Genie

Genie Member

I use this fish skin tan. Like some other products, it's often difficult to know if the directions would have you measure dry materials with fluid ounces or should you weigh it out. They aren't always clear about which kind of ounce they are referring to. I always assumed these directions were for 7 or 8 (one cup) fluid ounces. Perhaps they are saying 7 oz by weight OR one cup by volume.
    The directions say to dissolve the skin tan powder in warm water. I have never been able to get that much powder to dissolve in the water and I figured if it's not dissolving as they want it must not be necessary. So I cut the Powder to about one fourth of the recommended amount. It still doesn't dissolve completely but while soaking I frequently lift the fish out and resuspend the powder.
    I do try to use a plastic container that the fish could lay flat in the bottom without too much extra space. It also works to put the skin in belly down and curve the skin around the sides of a smaller plastic container.

4. the grey

the grey Member

thanks for the advice guys. I ended up finding a small enough bucket to do it in and mixed it all up. probably din't need that much as it never did fully dissolve either. but it worked out. what I will say though is I am not happy with the results. it dint stay lighter color and retain more natural colors like the description says. it pretty much ended up black. I used liqua cure before on fish too and they ended up black too. I haven't used WASCO fish tan yet but so far borax and zinc sulfate seem to be the best for me and I'm not even really happy with that either.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Think "denatured alcohol". It gets more expensive every day, but a quart of it in a 5 gallon bucket can do half a dozen fish. Degrease your skin first with fresh water and soap, rinse and then set it in a COVERED bucket of the diluted denatured alcohol overnight. Use rubber gloves or tongs to remove your fish, put it in a zip lock bag and freeze it until you're ready to mount it. Let it thaw in a buck of tap water, towel dry and mount.

6. the grey

the grey Member

thanks George ill definitely give that a try as well. What is the exact mixture your using? 1 quart denatured alcohol to ? gallons water. thanks