1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide tumbler / hide breaker

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by NorthernWings17, Sep 5, 2017.

1. NorthernWings17

NorthernWings17 New Member

Hi there,

I am looking to expand my taxidermy business by starting to do my own flat skins. I have searched the internet,but I can come up with any decent advice. So I was hoping there is someone out there that can give me some advice on how to build the tumbler. My main concern is the motor and gearing system. My plan is to have a 8 foot drop and the drum will be 3 feet wide. Obviously run on a central axis at around 12 to 14 rpm. What size motor do I need and what sort of gear system should I use? Any photos of a good working tumbler will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Or, you could find an old dryer and make sure the heating element is disconnected/removed and throw some towels in there with your hide and let it spin for a while.....

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Sorry silverwings, I use the dryer and towels for fluffing up a cape I'm about to mount, but, I think NorthernWings17 is talking about soft tanning and breaking the hide with the tumbler, in which case 6ft tall and 4 ft wide is the standard minimum and about a hundred pounds of tumbling medium.

4. primmg

primmg New Member

I built my own using a 30 gal drum, the motor I used was a feed auger motor I bought for 125$ at a dairy supply store. These motors turn very slow and are very strong. I tried different size sprockets to get the exact speed I needed. Tractor supply or Northern tool carries all different sizes and the chain for them, it was pretty easy if your into that kind of stuff. I have my own welder so I built the stand out of 1" square tubing with pillow block bearings holding the axels that I welded to a 6x6" square plate and bloted to the side of the drum.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A 30 gallon drum will NOT produce the 6ft drop that is required for breaking hides for soft tanning.

There is a difference in drumming to dry and fluff a cape for mounting and drumming to break a hide for soft tanning. As I said before, industry standard is 6ft tall minimum and 4 ft wide minimum and about 100 pounds of medium to produce quality soft tanned skin.
    The O P needs the specs for an 8ft by 3ft drum.

MaxStep likes this.