1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Hide Care

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Belo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Belo

Belo New Member

Hello all,

I am going on my first NY black bear hunt next weekend and want to be prepared for success.

I have found conflicting advice across the web on how to handle the hide post harvest. I will not be in a remote area but will not have access to a large freezer right away, just ice. My plan is to skin the bear as soon as possible leaving paws and head skinned (i do not feel comfortable attempting this). From there I have a large 5 day 120qt cooler to cool and store the bear in with lots of ice. I have purchased Alaska guide game bags to store the hide in so that it can breath, but stay protected and will keep all ice double bagged to keep the hide from coming in contact with water. At the most it will be 1.5 days until I can get the hide home into a freezer (head and paws attached and un-skinned).

I have read not to roll and not to wrap the head into the hide. I believe I can fold and still have room in my stand up freezer...but I'm not sure about the cooler. My taxidermist said roll so the skin/fat is on the outside, I've also read to do it the other way... salting is out because I don't feel comfortable skinning the head.

So really... what is the right way to properly preserve a black bear with head/paws in tact using a freezer? Really appreciate the advice.

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Fold flesh to flesh, Keep cold and dry. Keep the head on the outside

3. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

You want to use blocked ice if you can get as much fat off if possible lay it on the hair side for an hour or so in the evening in the cool air so it gets cold unless you kill it in the morning of course then yes skin-to-skin roll it up with the head on the outside and make sure you drain the water a minimum of two times a day I have shot three or four bears and never had any problems with slip or anything doing it this way good luck