1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish fill

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Zrtaylor39, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Zrtaylor39

Zrtaylor39 New Member

question about fish fill. I use Tom sextons WFF fish filler. Is there anything that I can add to it like a 50/50 mix to make it a little more firm and less likely to break away. I mix it to the consistnacy of clay and do not want to mix it to wet. When filling the fish I want tomethinf that sticks together a little better. I am new at taxidermy and I have tried looking on the forum to see if anyone has posted about this but could not find it.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

If you find something let me know too!

I did mix it 50/50 with the other fish filler McKenzie sells and it was stronger.

Btw the other fish filler makes outstanding rocks by sealing, painting, and rubbing the high spots with steel wool!

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I don't use fish fill as I carve all my bodies or purchase them if they fit...however that said...you might try substituting some of your mixing water with Elmer's Wood glue. That might give a bit more strength after everything sets up. Just a thought...JL

4. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I use the fish fill from Dan Rinehart Tasco and really like iit. I can mix it to a ball that is not wet at all and roll it out like clay. I tried tom sexton and seems like its always to wet or crumbly

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

JL what do you use in the cheeks of the fish you mount?

6. Zrtaylor39

Zrtaylor39 New Member

I will try and few different things and see how it works. I do agree even if it's not mixed to wet it seems like it wants to crumble but overall it does a decent job

7. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I used to know a Taxidermist that used the fill method for all his fish. The thing he did different was that he used small styrofoam beads and sawdust in his mix. I probably have the formula filed away somewhere if anybody is interested?

8. JL

Cecil...some times I use regular Mache and sometimes I use river clay. Depends on what's handy at the time. I freeze all my clay into 1/2 pound portions in zip-lock bags to minimize waste.If I have a few fish to mount I thaw out what I need and use that, same for deer heads. I don't treat cheek filling as rocket science. If it works....use it. ;D

9. JL

I carve my bodies out of foam today, but years ago I would fill my fish with dry fine saw dust and mix 25% plaster.Would use very little water and pack the fish and shape it. That would hold together,but would take forever to dry.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

''

Hey whatever works. I personally find clay takes too long to dry completely to suit me.

11. den007

den007 Active Member

I love the Tom Sexton fill. I think a perso can add too little water and that will make it crumble. I also like the Jim Hall Mache. Perhaps if you hit on the right mix for these two by experimenting, you may have a winner. Perhaps a bit of fibrous material chopped and mixed in might help as well. Pet shops sell "cotton wool" for filtration that might work without getting fiberglass all over. The glue idea does not seem bad. A little Elmers, mucilage, or perhaps even a dab of flour and water paste? Who knows. Would like to know of any good results though.

12. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I did mix Matuska with what I thought was Tom Sexton but it happened to be that other grey stuff that McKenzie sales. It actually worked well for me. Going to try it again. Not happy with the actual Tom Sexton filler right now.