1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blending Apoxie

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by AR1527, Sep 10, 2017.

1. AR1527

AR1527 New Member

I'm very happy with my fish besides the areas that I rebuild around the head. I like to use as little paint as possible on the body but that doesn't work on the head for me since it is a different material and color. Does anyone have any secrets that they would care to share on blending the two together?

2. WLELTD

WLELTD Member

oil paint in your apoxie,you can get close, texture is the culprit

3. AR1527

AR1527 New Member

Do you mean to add oil paint to the Apoxie as I'm mixing it?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Mix colors to match your dried fish and then blot it with that paint on a piece of towel or cloth, yes match the texture as close as well.

5. I would mix water based paint, but sometimes the chemicals in the paint will react with the paint and the color will be different when set.

6. WLELTD

WLELTD Member

yes mix the oil base in the apoxie a little at a time you can match very close

7. AR1527

AR1527 New Member

I've mixed acrylic paint in before for other stuff but I've never thought about trying it on my fish. Thanks guys!

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

I would just mix a little blending paint to match the color you desire
    just like you would using a repo head on a skin mount
    CL

9. I recommend water based paint over lacquer, the lacquer tend to dissolve the apoxie and makes it ver sticky.

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

This is the answer. Do it right and you can't even see the epoxy when you're done

11. This is one of the toughest parts of fish taxidermy for me, no matter what I do it still looks like a apoxie and not fish skin.

12. Clayman357

Clayman357 New Member

Also helpful when trying to get the seamless feathering of the clay is to use a little safety solvent on your fingers or tool and will get a seamless transition from the clay to the head/body....water will work, but the solvent will not make the clay "milky"....

13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

for me I just make it look like the dried skin and then paint the fish. I see to much of this about epoxy that its shinny, can't get it to look like the rest and all it takes is just paint it to match the dried skin color and then bring it back to life jmo

14. So what colors usually are used to make a dried fish skin color .

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Snagmaster, there are too many variables to list such as species, soak, glue, form but, the idea is to match the color of the dried fish skin. prior to painting the fish, then you start with everything looking similar. I use browns, blues, black and whites and yellows. A mixture of some of these colors almost always match the colors of the fish I mount.