1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's your hourly shop time

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Terry Bennett, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

Yes 3Bears w X amount of overhead and a high production level, if divided evenly between pieces produced then overall shop time cost is lowered. Ofcourse if everybody goes fishing then it has the opposite effect.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Hear, hear! Good for you! As with any industry there are always a few exceptions to the rules and I'm sure there are various reasons that you've reached this level of success. Talent being at the top of that list typically but there has to be other things as well. Cream rises or should I say can rise to the top. Your recipe sounds familiar and I'd like to think I'm headed in a similar direction. Maybe only as fresh "1/2 and 1/2" though and not cream! ;)

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

There's lots of hours I make nothing at all!

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You ain't kidding Joey!

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You guys as well, huh, here I thought I was special.

6. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I get 50 bucks an hour. MINUS! The 2 hours hearing the story of the kill during drop off and pick up...

7. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I know of tattoo guys that get $150-200/hour. This should be the standard if you are providing art, isn't that what we are supposed to do? The Iowa deer classic wouldn't help my argument. Multiple 200" bucks there my one eye brother in law could mount better...

8. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    With my fleshing business the biggest thing I notice from taxidermists I deal with is they are all worried what the guy down the road
    charges. Nobody has a clue how much money they are actually making so there is no way they can come up with an hourly wage. I
    get a lot of guys wanting me to cut them a deal because they didnt charge enough for this or that. Not my problem. I got 1 guy that's
    always bragging about all the deer he takes in, I stopped and figured his prices minus his costs and he makes around $11/hour, but
    he takes in a lot of deer that's all that matters to him.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

At $75 shop rate per hour, I took in enough work to fill 40 to 50 hrs a week 52 weeks a year and I was constantly turning work away. I guess the reason for that was the only consideration I had for raising my prices was how much I wanted to make and to control my intake so that my turnaround was under a year. Now, I only want to do a very few a year, so, I constantly turn work away.

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

As George always says, "You can't cure stupid!" That's poverty wages but if that's all he wants to make and kill himself in the process, whatever.

11. juli

juli Active Member

Yep - once a taxidermist (a good taxidermist) is established in an area, raising prices might turn away the tire kickers, but people who want good work don't care.... And I know most here also know that oftetimes raising prices brings more work, not less (those with the mindset that the more they pay the better quality they get - not that that's necessarily true... LOL).

12. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Same here Joey & 3bears! But I still turn out quality work! I told the guys in our association that have been so great at helping me better my work that I want to achieve the quality that everything that comes out of my shops would get at least a 2nd in competition! Am I striving for too high of a goal???

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wyatt, I don't think that is striving for too high of a goal, but achieving it is a whole different deal. I have a similar objective. My work may be considered half assed by some but, my effort is not.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

So with an hourly rate of $50-$100 dollars adding in supplies and overhead, with on average of 8 to 10 labor hours, the cost of a whitetail shoulder mount with those rates should cost between $650-$1200.

15. juli

juli Active Member

My hourly rate takes into account the cost of supplies, overhead, office time, customer time, fleshing time, cleanup time, etc....

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

That's about right.

17. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I was thinking along the lines of hourly labor rate which is what I was used to in the auto industry. All parts, supplies and bs time are extra, including taxes.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

My hourly shop rate includes all overhead, including an hourly wage for myself. Materials and services are not included in the shop rate. So, my formula is shop rate times number of hours plus materials and services. I wish my Hourly wage was close to my $75 SHOP RATE.

19. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

BAM,...says it all. Can't compare apples and oranges.

20. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

All excellent points.