1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Frequency of black coyotes

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by juli, Sep 14, 2017.

1. juli

juli Active Member

We recently purchased some property in Missouri and the the trail cameras we put up show a group of four coyotes of which three are black.... just wondering how common it is to get that many color phase coyote in an area.

2. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Occasionally up north, (about 1 out of a hundred or more where I am), but much more common in the south. Some trappers down your way would know. We have an abundance of the red/blonde ones up here of which almost all tend to be females.

3. juli

juli Active Member

I should mention that the three black coyotes were in the same photo so we know it's not just one black coyote running around. I just thought it was interesting...

4. Seems to me in the last 2 or 3 years they've been showing up more often.

5. Friend of mine snares 60-70 every year in MN. Usually has one or two black ones.

6. More common that people might think. I do believe the gene is saturated in areas. Maybe youre in one of those areas.

7. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

They seem to occur more often down here in the south, compared to the occasional one I saw in NY. Wish they were as huge as they are in NY!

8. South Central MO nd North Central Arkansas seems to have an unusually high number. I have seven in the freezer.