1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's wrong with my duck?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KLFL, Sep 14, 2017.

1. KLFL

KLFL Member

What's wrong with my mount? The wings look to long? I can't figure it out... this is my third flying mount I've done... any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I'll pitch a few thoughts out there...
    Firstly, Did you leave the ball on the humerus? If so, are you using a mannikin that is designed for the ball to be left on?... or did you recess the mannikin to accommodate the ball if it was necessary? When you skin the bird out, if you take a measurement of the distance between where both humerus' attach to the body, you'll know you're correct when mounting it. Leaving the ball on is not incorrect (if you did), but you may very well have to recess your mannikin some if you do. Having the carcass measurement will tell you if you need to or not.
    Secondly, did you put the correct "V" bend at the joint where the humerus meets the radius/ulna? That wing shouldn't be extended to the extent of a straight line... not even close.
    Thirdly, be sure that the wing skin is taxied toward the body into it's proper place.
    Fourthly, Your scapulars need to be taxied onto the body of the bird. The leading edge of the scapulars needs to be pinned into the proper location on the top/front of the mannikin. This will draw your flight web taught and give you a much crisper looking leading edge to your wing.

My guess?... You left the ball on the humerus and didn't recess the mannikin (and you needed to).
    And you didn't put enough bend in the joint between the humerus and the radius/ulna.
    That won't allow you to get your tertials or your scapulars in place.... and yes, it'll make your wings look too long.
    I can tell from your secondaries (too spread out) that you were trying to close the gap between the tertials and the body (because your wings
    were too long)
    One fundamental anatomical mistake leads to lots of other problems. The good news?... It's just one mistake and (next time) when you don't make that mistake, all those other frustrations don't arise.
    I'm no expert, that's for sure, so I'll get out of the way and let some folks who are comment. I hope at least I've given you some food for thought.
    I've made all the same mistakes and my guess is that all these folks that do this beautiful work on here have made them early in their career, also.
    FYI.... For a third flying duck?... nicely done! Post your next one... bet it's even better.

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't think the wings are very much too long, if they are too long at all. The biggest problem I see is that the curve of the leading edge is reversed and they are too bulky-looking.
    I suspect that you have them over-extended. Even in full flight there is always a noticeable angle between the humerus and the radius/ulna, or forearm part of the wing.