1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freeze drying bird heads and feet

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by nbrock, Sep 17, 2017.

1. nbrock

nbrock New Member

Has anyone tried freeze drying the skull /bill and feet of the original bird. Might be able to save money instead of buying artifical heads?

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

works great....still need to clean skull and inject feet...just water/white glue mix..

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Joe Coombs and Flynn's Forms sells inject-o-fil that is for injecting for freeze drying that you actually freeze dry in your FROST FREE freezer. It is for turkey heads, so, I don't know how well it will work on other things.

I believe it is made with formaldehyde and white glue. Pretty much what byrdman said.

4. byrdman

I have done smaller duck feet in freezer ...takes about 3 4 months...a turkey head that way would take 2 3 years....and I wouldnt trust it to get all the water out of skull...

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

byrdman, they claim it will freeze dry a turkey head in like 4 or so months and I was wanting to try it, however, in the end, like you, I just couldn't trust it enough to try since I send my heads to a freeze drier for them to add to their stock. I now have some severe shot damaged ones that I plan to experiment on them with the inject-o-fil.
    They don't recommend using the skull. They sell a head/neck form specifically for this purpose.
    I like to experiment with stuff like this just to see if a product will actually do what they say they will. We'll see how it goes.

6. byrdman

thats different.....with a foam head/neck then all you are drying is the skin....should work.....

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Ya, when I first posted that, I had forgotten that they recommended to not use the real skull. Sorry about that.