1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wanting prices....

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by woakley144, Sep 19, 2017.

1. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I had a call yesterday wanting prices for Whitetail mounts. No problem... right??? But then the guy goes into how I tan, whether I send them out to the tannery or in house tan..... I told him I try to do my own tanning and he was almost insulting about in house tanning is not the quality of a commercial tanning. I explained to him that I have been tanning for about 6 years and have not had any issue with the mounts.

I understand that when you do 50+ it's not realistic to do your own tanning, but I average 20-30 whitetails a year, plus all the misc capes I mount. Had an issue one time with commercial tan slipping, and very seldom do I have a cape slip.....

What's you guys take on tanning your whitetails?

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't do furry creatures anymore but my take is stick to your guns and if the customer does't like your prices or that you tan your own so be it. Sometimes the know it alls are a pain in the ass anyway. It's not like you really need him right? Could also be another taxidermist posing as a customer.

Years ago when I did whitetails I had a guy call me and act like I had to beg him to do his deer, and went on and on and on about how special the deer was blah, blah, blah. Having work to do and tired of the hot air I finally told him I had all the whitetails I wanted to do for the season and good luck shopping around. You could have heard a pin drop. ;D

Looks like we had a similar experience with a tannery. I had a cape come back from a tanner with no hair on one ear and that was the last time I used a commercial tannery. I went back to tanning my own. There was no reason for that on my end. My capes were immediately skinned, ears turned, shaved with a fleshing wheel and salted even if I had to stay up all night to keep up. No unskinned deer put in the freezer. Went to an auto tanner toward the last and loved it. Some say it's gimmick but it worked great for me and I liked skipping the salting! Also better stretch.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You shouldve asked the name of HIS shop, and where he sent his...

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Should have just told him they are professionally tanned. You are a professional, are you not?

When asked where are they sent, tell em you can't really say as your tanner doesn't want to get swamped with too much work, slowing down the turn around time. 8) ;D

5. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I'm just glad when someone stumbles across my number.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yep aftera few decades in this business you can smell another taxidermist over the phone checking prices! :)

OTOH have a funny story on checking prices. Years ago I was working in a grocery store. Another grocery store came into town (a very small town of 1000 give or take that any nitwit would know couldn't support another one). But some bean counter at some bank told the new guy there was room for another store and loaned him the money.

Anyway his overhead was higher for obvious reasons than the established grocery story I worked at, so his prices were higher. Anybody that knows anything about grocery stores and the retail market, knows if you're selling the same exact products price is everything. Didn't take long for the new guy to realize he was fighting a loosing battle. One day we had a woman come into our established store really upset. She related to us the owner of the new store accused her of price checking for us and was sure she was one of our employees which she was not. He literally screamed at her and threw her out of the store.

The guy who initially bragged about blowing the doors off our store ended up filing bankruptcy and loosing his home and other assets. His building became a Catholic church. Normally I would feel for the guy but we found out he screwed over a lot of people in his previous business dealings. Kharma?

7. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Bill, I thought about it being the shop in the next town over...... I checked the phone number against that shop and it came back as a cell phone..... I must be doing something right to have the competition worried....

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I love other taxidermists calling for prices. I give them my price. I don't give 2 sacks of rat's asses what they charge and they shouldn't care what I charge. We all have our individual overhead. The only constant is some of the materials. As a prudent business owner it behooves you to find the best materials at the lowest prices and put out the best work you can and still make money.

9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Well said bears.

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Competitors calling for prices happens in every business. Just refer to 3bears comment. Customers who are price shopping most are more than likely the ones you don't want/need anyways and you are better off letting your competitors deal with them. My $0.02 for what it is or isn't worth.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Amen to that, however, I do respond with a "I understand you are checking prices and can understand that. But keep in mind that usually you get what you pay for and the quality of work in this industry is all over the place. Knowing what I know, if I was in your shoes I'd look at the work and make your decision from that. You're welcome to come to my place of business and there will be no sales pressure."

OTOH I've been doing this for 33 years and don't even advertise (no webpage and no yellow pages) and I have a hard time keeping up with just fish.

12. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

There is no better advertisement than word of mouth!

13. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    These are the guys that calls twice a week until completed , then take 2 months to pick it up.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

I go into a conversation on tanning trying to be as technical as possible. I act real excited to be finally talking to someone who knows ALL about tanning. I discuss soluble proteins and synthetic tans, different pickles etc. It gets kinda funny. Rather quickly.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You got that right!

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You got that right!

Well then we must be related albeit distantly. LOL (Not sure if you remember but a female taxidermist ancestor of mine was a Walker in the early 20th century.