1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Average income?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dwb5, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I know when I ask this question there is a lot of variables to this question. But how much should a part time taxidermist look to make a year mainly doing deer? And is the price before or after you take out materials? Thanks for the answers. And I don't want nobody to think I'm being nosy I'm not looking for you to tell me your income. I'm just looking for a realalistic ballpark idea.

2. 50 deer heads @ $600 ea. minus $250 ea. for expenses = $17,500

DP

3. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Wow. I dont know if I can get $600 a head. They only get $375-$425. I'm sorry to everybody I stated my question wrong. I should have asked what a reasonable number of heads I should expect as a part time taxidermist.

4. Well if I was charging $375-425 I wouldn't want to get any....I don't work for free.

DP

5. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I understand what your saying. But what do you do. The best and most popular around my area gets $400. I don't see how I can come in and charge even $500. But I'm up for ideas on what to do.

6. You charge what you need to, to make what you need/want to make for your time after all expenses are paid and don't worry about the other guys.

DP

7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    depends on how well known you are and the quality of your work. a lot of guys are hesitant to take their "Trophy" to someone new. you could place business cards at sporting goods store, place an ad in the paper and only get 5 deer that year, way to many variables to even start a prediction on how many deer you can take in. most guys in my area charge right around $400.00

the others are much higher, 600 plus for some.

if you plan on charging more than the others your work better be better.

8. Your work needs to match the price you intend to charge. Those customers who appreciate good work will come and continue coming, those are the type you want. Good luck!

9. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I do plan on putting cards out. Plus I have a friend getting out of the business and said he would send his customers to me. Its my biggest worry that I will over charge someone for my work. I do not want to work for free but I do want to be fair with everyone. Everyone says they like my work and that it looks good. But its a different story when you charge them money.lol.
    I really just want to take it slow, do a good job and treat people right.

10. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    have you joined your state association and entered any of owrk in the competition to be judged ? if so, then you definitely know its good enough for a paying client.

11. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

No. Not yet. But I am planning on it. I have been looking into it.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's an easy modification to D. Price's response.

50 deer heads at $400/each minus $250ea. expenses = $7500.00

Hopefully in a couple years you can get your name out there and double that amount. Then you'll be raking in $288/week!

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A reasonable number for a part timer with a job is 20-25 deer annually. My direct expenses in a deer are $115. I charge $445. I have a huge investment in buildings and equipment that eats up my indirect costs.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Does the $250.00 include all the other expenses besides mannikin, shipping, eyes, glue, etc.?

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Cecil, he can't include that. To do so he would have to know a lot more information than what was provided. This is a gross profit estimate, certainly not a net.

16. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not looking to turn into fulltime. I'm just looking to get enough to where I can work a normal job and not a 6-7 day a week job that in doing now. And if I cannot do that at least it can help pay for my hunting trips and equipment.

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Only working 6 or 7 days a week now and you think you can cut that back and do taxi work part time, all at the same time? And make more money? Reality is, you may be able to afford more toys but, finding time to use them will be very hard to do. Before you know it you are working till midnight in your shed/garage to get people off your back. Been there done that, it is doable but it is hell on a person and especially family life. Taxidermy, it is a hobby for some that can make them money but that all depends on your individual personality and work ethic. My recommendation is, if all you want is some extra cash, go get a part time job, working for someone else. Then when chit hits the fan you can punch out and walk away, not forced to stand in front of that fan with mouth wide open. That comes with owning a business.

18. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

3Bears, you are totally correct. There is always someone gnawing on my a$$ after money...Business insurance, Business Property Tax, Estimated Quarterly Income Tax, Use Tax, Quarterly SSI and UI taxes on employees, paying my accountant, annual website fee, advertising...have I mentioned taxidermy supplies anywhere here? Everything I own is fully paid for. If there was a loan to service, I'd be better off as a greeter in WalMart!

19. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Dwb5
    You need to read the reply's to this post in the training section.
    Please train me. I will do anything. AdamWDavis

20. Cecil that is an estimate of the cost to do a deer head at 50 heads for all expenses, of course it is an estimate because as Cole stated, you don't know all the info. If you only take in 40 then the cost per head goes up because you are dividing all non tangible expenses such as insurance, electricity, etc by 40 instead of 50.

DP