1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Average income?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dwb5, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

True but my point is many taxidermists neglect to consider ALL their expenses.

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Cecil , You are correct , they don't figure all expenses or overhead or labor much less profit. This guy is done before he starts , " he said already he can't get that price in his area ". With minimum wages in a lot of blue states going to $15.00 per hour with bennies , why would anyone want to play with tick infested animals knowing they don't have medical ins too.
    Cecil when you move east I hope you move between me and JL so we can meet and come to the Wendy's you will be working at for the 15.00 ph that is being pushed in our very blue state.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Richard you're a real hoot.

Haven't you heard? I'm going to work for Pocohontus's presidential campaign in a couple years. I'll be all set!

4. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

If you don't charge enough you'll end up like this guy.
    http://fox59.com/2017/09/26/dnr-raids-brownsburg-taxidermy-owner-under-investigation-for-corrupt-business-practices/

5. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thanks for your help. I know I can't make it on taxidermy alone and I don't see how people do. I'm just wanting to try to make about 9-10k a year so that I can take a lesser paying job that has inc. and be able to make it. I don't care to work long hours I would just like to make my extra hours being at home with my wife and kids. They love helping me in the shop and it would be more time with them. I just didn't know if it would be possible to do. Hope that all make since.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Of course it is possible. It all depends on your's and your family's devotion to the business. It deserves repeating, this is NOT the way to spend more time with the family unless they are equally committed to the business. Customers care little how much time you spend with the family, they want their mount back ASAP. A business is just like another child, it starts out you doing everything 24/7 and it
    may gradually grow, or not, depends on your business plan and work ethic. The hope is to raise it to self sufficiency to the point of, the business can run itself for a while if you chose to take a vacation. I've been at this for 12 years full time and my "child" hasn't grown up yet. My kids are and have grown up but I have missed plenty. My intent is not to say it can't be done or to scare you but rather make sure you are fully aware of what it can take if you wish to go down this route.

7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

how long does it take a seasoned professional to mount a deer ? how long would it take a beginner ?

Dwb5, i think, in the beginning, you are going to put in some really long hours mounting a deer and there are certain chemicals that you DO NOT want your family around.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

We have about 6 hours in each deer. I pay someone else to flesh them, I set the antlers, my son preps the forms and mounts 2 at a time. One day a week we has a "finish" day. I collect the money, pay bills, handle the phone, listen to hunting stories, and drink a little bourbon and water late every afternoon!

9. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

The most I have taken in as a part-timer is 5 deer in one season for shoulder mounts but have done 13 euro skulls. Shoulder mounts were at $375 now I'm doing them at $400. As i took a third place ribbon on my first ever competition mount and I knew I didn't do several things they would look for. As it was customers deer .

Justink likes this.
  10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Cecil. I've called you some names in the past but I know for a fact that you're MUCH smarter than that one.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Some of you are too hard on Dwb5. We all have to start somewhere and how easy it is to forget what little we knew when we started. It's no wonder I hear people come here, get tongue lashed, and never come back for simply asking a question. Why? Does it make you feel superior? Is your self esteem that low?

12. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm just a part timer, but I've built the business up a lot over the years. The last two years I was charging $650 for deer. I took in between 320-350 animals the last couple of years. That's including fish, birds, all gameheads, mammals, and Euros. This year I'm at $700 for deer and a couple other prices have gone up. I'm referring Euros out and have turned away about 50 this year, and with my price changes I figure I'll still top out over 200 this year. I agree with a lot of the people on here who said if I was only getting $375 I probably wouldn't do it. My cost is around $200 so that just wouldn't leave enough profit to make it worth it.

13. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I agree that $375 is not worth it. But if I charge or $400 I will be the highest price around. And when your using $20 eyes a fake nose, & ear liners plus tanning your hides where a lot are using DP it cuts your profit down greatly. In going to start at $400 and then go up as I get better. There is one guy that does $500 for what he calls a competition mount. Idk what all he does diff except his eyes.

14. Gotta take out 33% for taxes too. So now you are down to $5000. If you have an average of 12 hours work in the 25 deer heads. Thats 300 hours, plus you still have freezer expense. YOU have made $16.66 dollars per hour.

But this in now over time taking time away from your family. So now if you are really good you have consumed 18 weekends. out of 50, no you will not get 52 weeks.

15. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

one guy i know slowly raised his prices, just a little each year as he got better and better. right now he is working less and making more. thats the goal.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I think that is what most of us have done as we got better. At least those of us that are self taught.

17. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Tell me what you all think about this. I'm thinking about doing a break down sheet for customers. Tell them my labor is $200. Then give price for glue and tanning. Then let them go as big or a little as they want. If they want the highest price materials they get it. If they want to save money by getting some cheaper eyes and no fake nose then that's what they get. That way they know where all there money is going to and they feel like they have a say in how much they are spending. Plus I get my labor out of it. I know the price will still work out to be more than everyone else but the customer can see why it is and maybe feel better about it.

18. But using cheaper materials may result in a poorer quality mount, stay with the best supplys do high quality work and charge the highest price your area can afford.

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Don't go with that plan. It's your business, not your customers.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Joey nailed it. If you intend to be professional, stick to the idea that the customer isn't always right and that YOU control your own destiny. Use the best products available so that you can stay on the cutting edge of the industry. If you sell an open mouth, look at what your work looks like versus what the cast mouth systems look like. THEN consider the COST of you doing it versus just ordering a prefinished one and installing it. You're doing commercial work and you don't get extra points for doing it yourself, you get extra cash by putting the best product out there. If a customer is unwilling to pay for that (or "unable" for some of you who think you should be Billy Graham and save everyone), then they really don't need to come into your shop. They'll be happier going to someone else, and in the long run, you'll be much happier they did as well. The cheapskates always tend to be the ones who'll gripe about everything.