1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint question for gums

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bonenut, Sep 21, 2017.

1. bonenut

bonenut New Member

Usually just lurk around here, but need help this time. I've tried searching, with no luck. I've done an alligator skull and since the back teeth don't have sockets (more like a troth) I used white apoxie sculpt to make gums to set the teeth in to hold in place right. While this has performed its job mechanically 100%, appearance wise not so much. Its more of a grey color when it dried. I'm looking for a really white paint to use to cover the mix up so it blends with the skull well. This is all I am lacking from returning it to the customer. My skull is very white so the paint would need be too. Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Lifetone Pure white.

3. bonenut

bonenut New Member

I'm sorry I should have specified. I do not have an airbrush machine

4. If you have a hobby/craft store close look at acrillic paints there. Bring in your jawbone so you can get a color mach. Lost of different brands and shades of white. For a really white color putty I have also used something called Marine Tex. It's for boats but for little things it's good because its really white. Any good boat place will have it. Comes in two parts and you just make up what you want to use.

5. bonenut

bonenut New Member

Thanks for the info walkstoofar. I will def do that. thankyou!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have a boat and am familiar with Marine Tex. For small patches I have used it and it is very white. There is also a grey color. I have tubs of it but it might also come in smaller tubes. Check a marina or even in some hardware stores. It can also be ordered online.