1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alum vs orange tanning solutiion

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by CrazyJoe, Sep 21, 2017.

1. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe New Member

Hi,
    I'm not a taxidermist, just a deer hunter wanting to tan a deer tail, I've used homemade alum solution before on squirrel tails and they worked fine, but this deer tail is gonna be mounted on a plaque and I wanna do it right, just wondering if the alum solution will work as good as that orange stuff they sell at sporting goods stores. I don't want it to rot after a couple of years or the hair start to fall off.
    Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

We don't have many whitetailed deer in Oregon. Only a small group that we can hunt. Other than that, they are actually listed in the endangered list. Sooo,

I have tanned and plaque mounted lots of whitetailed deer tails for local guys and gals that got to go hunt them and incorporated them with the antler or head mount.

I would go with alum. It's what I have used for many years until I started using Liqua tan. I believe the orange stuff would probably work, however, alum is a proven method.

3. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe New Member

Thanks guy, I was leaning toward alum too since it'll save me a couple of bucks ;D

4. Joe, it depends on if you intend to tan a few more in the future. If so, I would suggest you go to www.truebondtanning.com and buy one of their kits. Good luck, regards, John