1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide pulled around burr

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by wilcox1088, Sep 23, 2017.

1. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

What is the best way to fix this problem. The mount is dry and has a pretty significant gap on both sides. It was brought to me already skinned out with quite a bit of hide around the antlers. Tried everything I could to prevent it but it is what it is and now I need to fix it but want to do it right the first time. Any suggestions?

2. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Maybe take a bit of extra hide with close to matching colored hide, and glue into gap. Then air brush to match.
    Are you sewing up the cape from the antlers down? If not, this problem will occur if you are sewing from the bottom up.

3. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Yes and I always sew from the front quarter of the burr around. This one was bad. He told me he took it to another taxidermist to have him caped out for easier travel but it was butchered

4. dcooper

dcooper Member

I guess it depends on how large the gap is. You could add a piece of hide as mentioned, or fill with apoxie sculpt. When that hardens, place a dab of super glue on that and roll the hair into the glue. Hold for a second and the hairs will hide the area, assuming it's not too large.

5. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

The gap is pretty big

6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

What's "pretty big " in numbers ,measurements ?

7. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

3/4" on the bad side. The whole incision from the Y to aroun the eyes and all in between looks like it was skinned with a butter knife

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thats a long way to try and stretch it shut. you can soften the skin and try again. but it could pull from the eyes.

9. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

That's my main concern.

10. Richard C

That big, it needs to be patched in with parts from a spare cape that matches somewhat. You can dye or air brush color to match somewhat if need be. A "butter knife " , I don't think so . I have never seen one that bad in 50 years in taxidermy. Good luck !

11. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Ok. I'll give it a shot. I have the extra hide off that deer from the back of the form. Thanks for all the replies

12. Richard C

NO ! You need another cape to take the hide from around the BURR to patch with !

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I really shouldn't respond on posts like this one but I tend to be a moth to a candle. After reading it, I just wanted to shout, "What the hell were you thinking?" when you mounted it. I know that it didn't shrink 3/4 an inch while drying.

Be all that as it may, I use a very UNCONVENTIONAL METHOD when I get in a "fixer" like that. I take a tube of RTV Clear Silicone and fill the gap with it. Then I go on the backboard of the form and I cut snippets of hair. I take these snippets and I start pushing the cut ends down into the silicone, layering it as I go. When the gap is completely filled, I then take a piece of papertowel and gently fold the hair back slightly towards the antler. Let it cure for a day.

Many people say that the hair won't match but if you ever get a deer in velvet, you'll see that the hair on its head and around the burrs is quite long. So what happens to this long hair? Obviously SOME of it falls out when the deer sheds to go into winter pelage. HOWEVER, the other hair is ground down as the buck cleans the velvet off its antlers and rubs trees. SO, after the silicone is cured, take a sharp pair of scissors and give the deer a haircut. The hair will match you hide since it's part of it.

NEXT TIME, fix it before you mount it or cinch it up tighter when you do mount it. Then monitor it every day until it's dry.

14. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do agree I should have got a different cape but he insisted on using this one but he also knows the problems that the hide had. I'll give it a shot. I do have an extra cape and also the extra from the actual hide so I'll see what looks better. Thanks again

15. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've hidden a few (1/4" ) by extending the antler burr lower with a small roll of epoxy and some paint.. you would never know ..
    Being yours is so large tho maybe a combination of adding hair and burr to hide from both ends..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

16. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I think I'd tell my customer to hang tight. Meanwhile I'd let every bow hunter I knew that I needed some repair parts. Have your customer do the same. Don't know when your season starts, but ours does in a week. I'll bet you get a specimen for a patch reasonably quickly. While I've admittedly never done it, I would think you could get good results relatively easily. My $.02

17. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Yes ours starts this weekend and I actually have a few spare capes at the tannery now

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Now I hate to be a party pooper, but when I hear the advice about getting "replacement parts", I always wonder who's going to dick up a perfectly good hide so you can get a "replacement part" for someone else's screw up. An early season hide on a respectable buck is worth at least $150 in many quarters, more in others. If a guy kills that type of buck and I have an opportunity on it, he either mounts it himself and I use that hide or I save that hide waiting to make extra money on some numbnuts who screwed up his own hide.

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I agree with George here. When I get antlers to mount from customers, they usually come in connected to a head cut off at the skull/neck atlas or a scalp that has the hair on it. I would home tan those heads up for spare parts and repair work. I would never use a profitable cape for a repair that could be accomplished by other means.
    Going to a butcher to get a head or two would be a better option than ruining a cape.

20. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

That makes sense. I'll see what I can do and I really appreciate all the help