1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is it? (Stomach Contents ID)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by CCarlson, Sep 28, 2017.

1. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Found this in the stomach of a large rainbow trout. Any idea what it could be? It looks like fatty tissue, but its not, its pretty calcified.

Its about 4 - 4.5 inches long

[​IMG]

2. looks like the inside of a deer's mouth,,

3. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

That is exactly what I said. I'm trying to wrack my brain on what it could be.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Did it come from a fish out pond or hatchery? May have been fed left over scraps from a slaughterhouse or from butchering. Looks like a tongue or lingual tissue of a cow or deer as you two indicated.

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I agree with cecil. With the length and id say its a lambs tougue

6. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Not a tongue, but it sure could be a cheek.

~S

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Could someone have used it for bait as like a pork strip?

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Sure looks like papillae from a ruminants mouth. Who knows why it is where it is.

9. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Absolutely! I raise and butcher sheep. Their tongues are smooth but their cheeks are covered with papillae just like those as are deer and other ruminants. Like Cecil said, maybe someone thought it would be good for bait.

~S

10. vic h

vic h Active Member

Was the fish gutted before you worked on it? What I'm getting at it looks like if you folded it, top over to meet the bottom [like a taco] that seam would be where the cut would have been made. If this were still intact it would form a pouch . It looks like there would then be a inlet or outlet on both ends. could this actually be the stomach that you pulled out or the stomach lining? I've don't believe I've ever seen the inside of a fishes stomach but I've pulled a lot of crap out of them. Does anyone know if the inside of a fish gut looks like this?
    Vic

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No not the inside of a fish's stomach that I've ever seen.

Maybe you're referring to the pyloric cacae?

12. vic h

vic h Active Member

uuuuhhhhh.............nooooo? I give!

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

???

14. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Vic, No this wasn't the fishes actual stomach. It was found in the fully entact stomach and then I removed it.

I wondered if it was possible that there was calcification of the pyloric ceaca , Cecil. But the placement wasn't exactly correct.