1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetle container

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Randy, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I am planning to make a large beetle container and would like to know what are the maximum and minimum temperatures to design a beetle container for? Thanks
    Randy

2. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Randy, I just moved mine to an old chest freezer and have a thermometer in there and the temp has been hovering around 80-85, as for the lowest temp my shop is not heated so I put a heat lamp about 2' above the old container and the temp stayed about 65-70

I have never had any problems keeping them they just work slower when the temp is lower. And when the temp gets higher than about 80 they want to fly so you have to be very careful when you are putting skulls in & out of the container.

FYI I used a 30 gallon tote with holes screened on the top for ventilation.... and a reptile heater on the side during the winter to keep them warm...

3. Rob

Rob Member

Inquiring about your 30 gallon tote with the reptile heater on the side of your beetle container. Have you had any problems with the heater getting too hot?Why did you put your heater on the side and not on the bottom of the container? I am considering using a reptile heater. Just want to make sure. Thanks .

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Rob,
    I found that if you put the reptile heater on the bottom when it gets cold they will quit working and got to the heat source, thus on the side, it warmed the entire container, but I change from the plastic tote to a chest freezer. I have too much that needs to be done and a plastic tote was not big enough. I did change the method that I keep my bugs warm, Now I'm using one of the small space heaters in the wire basket freezer tray. Keeps them toasty warm and they are eating their little hearts out..... keeping the temp 70-80. I can put over 5 skulls and about 10 sets of antlers in the chest compared to 3 sets of antlers and 2 skulls.