1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taking pictures of mounted fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by antlermike, Oct 3, 2017.

1. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

looking through postings I see good and bad examples of fish taxidermy photo taking I see lots of glare on most dose anyone have any advice for taking photos of something with a heavy gloss. I had thought about taking photos before I gloss.

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Don’t take it under shop lights

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

This topic is something that is worthy of a discussion because most of us suck at it. There are a few on here that take pretty nice pics. Would love to be able to get quick decent results without having to photoshop the background and spend 20 min on a pic after it's taken. Fighting glare is certainly a problem but getting the pic to look as nice as a finished fish is another. Mounted fish are a bugger.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yep I've never been happy with the mount pictures I've taken. I've even seen greens come out more like browns in the photos. Anyone know why that is?

5. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

I bought a good nikon and takes the same picture your eye sees as you are looking at it. Greens are green, etc, and look the same.You have to use the manual setting though. You mostly will have to use a tripod too. Dont go by the pictures on my website if you look, the only two pictures I took with this nikon are the brown trout and crappie. I dont do fish anymore.
    I paid around 600 for this camera

With the other cheap cameras, I sometimes would have to take hundreds of pictures just to get one that looked somewhat like it did in person

6. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Sometimes I think it takes something like a 'bounce flash' like professional photographers use, those things that look like white umbrellas. They give a diffused light from a different angle from the lens so it doesn't reflect back directly to the camera. A long time ago, I had an old 'movie' light and tried that. It was really bright and hot (great for curing things) but the tungsten elements made the photos look really brown, like through an dark amber filter. If you have an external flash you could try bouncing it off of a piece of white poster board to give the soft, indirect lighting. Just a thought.

Google "bounce flash tutorial" for an idea.

~S

7. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

I am having that exact prob greens looking brown. Glenn what is your web address I may need a new camera do you know which model Nikon it is

8. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    You may also get less hot spots if you put a white cloth/handkerchief/tissue over the flash to lessen the glare.

9. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

This is what i use , you dont need the big lens for fish. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d3400-dslr-camera-with-af-p-dx-18-55mm-g-vr-and-70-300mm-g-ed-lenses-black/5580131.p?skuId=5580131

Like I said you have to use the manual setting also. With this camera my fish look exactly like they do in person, which is bad, but at least they don't look worse like my other cameras made them look lol

10. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I use a piece of flat black foam board from Hobby Lobby for a background then take my pictures outside either in the evening just after the sun goes down or on an overcast day. I never get any flash this way. I just shot a screw into the side of a shed and hang the foam board and fish on that.

11. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Thanks guys this helps much some good ideas

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Taking pictures of fish SUCKS. Photographing before glossing works pretty good. I wish I had an easy answer for ya

13. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Dang Cole, I was hoping to hear some wisdom from you as you're better than most at getting decent results.