1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Drumming in ears?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

What is the best way to keep the inside of the ears from drumming. I roughed the ear liners up,cleaned& dried the ears. I have used hide paste and a ear glue I got from joe coombs. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

These are some things you can try.
    Loose fit of the ear skin to liner.
    Two part epoxy glue.
    You already rough up the liners and clean the skin so your good there.
    I went to fabric earliners and like them better than plastic.

3. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Ill try the 2 part epoxy. I got them before I put them in and they are loose. Its just when they dry they pull.

4. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

What is the best way to fix drumming once it happens. I have wet tanned hides.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Dwb5 .... I am assuming that you removed the ear cartiladge?

:)

Kerby...

6. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Yes I have.

7. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

What hide paste are you using?

:)

Kerby...

8. x2 Tanglewood

9. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I use McKenzie paste

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As long as the ear skin is loose and fits to where its "I have too much skin to fit in here" loose, it will not drum. I use Romans 555 as a hide paste and ear glue, no drumming. Used other paste also and no drumming.

11. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I thought it was loose enough everything fit very well then about day 4 I had a place drum about the size of my thumb nail. Any advice on how to fix it now that I got it. I thought about wetting it a putting super glue in it.

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

You might of had an air pocket or when adjusting the ear, the skin moved a bit. You can wet it, won't take long to hydrate and squirt a dab of super glue. Or just cut a slit and glue down and a little touch of epoxy to finish.

13. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Ok. Thanks a lot PaulB. Thanks to everybody. If I can ever figure out how to post pictures. Ill show you one of my deer.

14. I use 2 part epoxy no drumming issues since. and they r dry in at most ten minutes

15. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I'm going to try the 2 part next. I'm new to taxidermy and I'm wanting to start working for people, and this is the only problem I have that worries enough to hold off doing them for people.

16. I was having the same issues for a while. Here is what I use.
    Rough earliner with stout rougher everywhere you can reach and a stiff wire brush for the inside where you cant get to with the stout rougher.
    Make sure you split the 3 cartilage fingers on the ear skin.
    Clean the earliners and the ears on the cape with acetone and let it evaporate.
    For glue I use sure-stix adhesive from matuska and add a little red paint to it to tint. Rub the glue into the earliner and into the ear skin then insert the earliner into the ear.
    Work out all the air in the ear while adjusting.
    Ware gloves cause this glue dont like to come off your hands. If you get glue on the hair I use a brass brush and water to remove.
    I then card the edges of the ear with cardboard for 3 days or longer.
    Squeeze the ear every once in a while as it is drying to work out any air you missed.
    I have no more problems with drumming.

17. primmg

primmg New Member

After making sure the fit is correct I use the Mckenzie 2 part epoxy, but one thing I do is bag the head for a couple days because the ear skin is very thin without the cartlidge and it dries very fast, bagging the head will let it dry a little slower allowing you to continue to press it down and keep an eye on it.

18. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Thanks. Ill try some of these tips the next one that I mount.

19. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Another thing to remember is to coat the ear skin with your glue and just a bit on the liner. It may be that when u insert the liner as you push it into the ear your glue is sliding back.

20. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Ok thanks. Ill try that as well.