1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Soften oily wolf skins years later

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bobby7321, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bobby7321

bobby7321 New Member

So a few years ago I got a couple wolves from Asia. I had this long drawn out ordeal with my taxidermist and I finally just went to his place picked up all my mounts, went down the road to the tannery and picked up my skins. They told me the wolf skins (had them done just as hangers) were done and when I went to pick them up they pulled them out and I took them not thinking much about it. Now after having other skins done since and feeling how much softer and nicer they are, I am wondering if I can send these to a tannery and have them softened up? Right now the hair feels oily and just a little rough. Sorta like the feel of gel or hairspray in your hair the next morning before taking a shower. Not hard but not very soft either. The original tannery did tell me that there was a lot of oil and fat left on the original skins when they received them, so I don't know if that is why they ended up that way or did they just do a crappy unfinished job?

Any advice?

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi Bobby!

The only advice I can give you - is to try to remove that greasy feeling from the fur itself - without submerging the skins (not knowing how they tanned them)!

Try using the simple method - like adding a few Lbs. of Hardwood Sawdust to a Black PLastic Garbage Bag and then add some Odorless Mineral Spirits or Lacquer Thinner to it and bounce it around for 5-10 minutes. Make sure the final mix is "Damp" not soupy! Now add the skins and bounce them all around for another 10-15 minutes, and then remove the skins - and shake and blow them clean! All outdoors, by the way! Hopefully it should do a good job!

3. bobby7321

bobby7321 New Member

I'll give that a shot. thank you!