1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Metalized skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by andy41372, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I know this has been brought up on here before but I can not seem to find it in the archive's. I am needing to metalize a few skulls and as I remember the metal powder is mixed with a sort of resin then air brushed on to the skull then after drying ot could be polished. My question is what is the resin or median used to airbrush and is it available at hardware stores auto paint suppliers etc. Or possibly a link to an older post. Thanks in advance

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You are correst. Their is a detailed post by George Roof. My process is a little different. Spray skull with flat black paint. I mix the bronze powder with Enviro-Tex and brush it on. Remove drips from drip points as it dries. That's it!

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Try the Advanced Search. The regular one above never seems to work well. Try bronze skulls, bronzing skulls etc. One post I came up with was this but there were others. Look through the different posts and see if there are links to chase in them as well. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,321875.msg2196429.html#msg2196429

4. Thank you all

5. George's method uses polyurethane as the medium. That's the medium I've used....basically, because it's the first method I saw and it works just fine. Go over it twice.

If I ever do it again though, I'm thinking I may go with an "all-in-one" deal from sculpt nouveau. They make a "paint" with metal powders already mixed in...just shake it up and brush it on or spray it on.

You could also put a patina on it with an acid. Put it on while wet, then buff and burnish or let it be.