1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Needing a redear sunfish blank

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fishingtyler, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

Ok I'm new here and I'm new to taxidermy. Recently a friend of mine caught a massive red ear sunfish. (12" long 12"girth)
    And he wants a replica. (Fish was released) I told him I was wanting to start doing a little replica work on the side so what better way to start right now and help him out right? Well I can't find anyone who has any red ear blanks. Anyone have any recommendations?? Thanks for the help.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A bit of creative Apoxie work on the "ear" tab will make any bluegill blank look like a redear.

3. I have a few molds in the 12" range. And no George a bluegill and a redear have totally different anatomy.

4. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    George, don't let us down. Tell Randy how he is wrong and your advice is correct.. :-X

5. George

No, I'm not going to tell Randy he's wrong. I'm going to tell him that fishheads are much worse than bird brains in their exactness of a species. The working public, of which 99.9% are our customers tend to be never look at a deer other than the antlers and would never take a second look at a fish other than the color and the defining feature. I know of no one that's ever counted the dorsal fin rays to insure that it was a white crappie replica I'd used instead of a black. Few would know a bluegill from a longear, a redear, a pumpkinseed. or a green sunfish. In the south, many farm ponds are randomly stocked with several species for largemouth food and their interbreeding often ends up confusing even for those "in the know". Last year I repainted a 14 foot white marlin. Now any fishhead worth his salt is going to tell you that there's no way on God's green earth that a white marlin is going to get that big. HOWEVER, it came in painted as a white marlin and the customer wanted it to be a white marlin, so it was damned well painted to be a white marlin. He said his friends all loved it and each of them remarked that they'd never seen a white marlin that big. (Do tell.)

And Brian, you need to work on that burr you have under your saddle. It gets a bit monotonous.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yep totally different species too.

7. George

Well, for those of you who aren't fishheads and do actual taxidermy work, here's a link that normal people would look for:

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/fishing/redearsunfish.htm

8. Someone artistic impression? Oh boy what is that saying. It is an artistic impression and may have artistic influence. or just be wrong.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I saw what you did there! ;)

10. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Blah blah George! Keep promoting hack jobs since you don't care about actual anatomy of a particular fish.. my customers want the real deal.

11. George

Brian, if I could buy you for what you're really worth and sell you for half what you think you're worth, I'd still outpace the stock market.