1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Questions on fleshing salted hides!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Dead Head 6233, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dead Head 6233

Dead Head 6233 New Member

I salted a deer hide 2 nights ago, to draw moisture out of hide to finish fleshing. I usually only do it overnight. But when I went to finish fleshing noticed that the hide was getting hard in spots that weren't covered good. So my ? Is what's the best way to get those spots to loosen up? To finish fleshing.

Also will it hurt to freeze at this point and start process over at another time?

Any input will be greatly appreciated thanks!!

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Roll it up skin to skin and they should soften up

3. Dead Head 6233

Dead Head 6233 New Member

Okay what about putting in the freezer until I can get back to it? Would that be best?

4. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

Salt heavy, rub it into the cape well, hang it up to dry. Next day shake off the wet salt and salt again. Hang it up again. Repeat each day until it is as dry as you need it. A salted hide will not freeze in the freezer. It will hold moisture and moisture is what you are trying to get out of your cape/hide in the first place. You could have problems putting salted hides/capes in the freezer. JMO. ;)

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

lol a salted hide will freeze but take much longer just think ocean water freezes hmmm
    What's happening now is it's drying and you wont be able to flesh unless you hydrate the hide in water. Best off drying it till you ready to pickle the skin.