1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Elk mount getting wet

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SEC, Oct 14, 2017.

1. SEC

SEC Member

Just mounted my own personal elk. I hung it in the new house that we bought and then had the carpet cleaned. The mount evedintly still has some salt or something in the hair because it is still drawing moisture from the air. The cape was tanned by a professional tannery who recently shut down due to retirement. I have used this tannery for 20+years and I've never heard of this problem before. Anybody know of anything to try? I've had fans blowing on it and the air conditioner running got it fairly dry yesterday but it fells a little damp again today.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Thats a new one. Any salt left in hair should be gone through tanning process and re hydration bath. Are you sure its not oils still on hair thats giving the impression of damp hair?

3. SEC

SEC Member

I'm sure it's moisture. It's gone from wet to fairly dry was damp again and is pretty dry at the moment.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I would place a dehumidifier in the room and suck all the moisture out of the atmosphere. You will be shocked at the amount of water you'll collect the first day or two.

5. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

X2 Joey
    We have high humidity summers here and I run a dehumidifier 24/7 keeping the humidity at 45-50% if possible.
    It's amazing the amount of moisture I can suck out of the air.

6. definetly sounds like salt residue left in hide from either tanning process or re-hydration bath. skins sometimes can be sensitive to Areas with high humidity especially if its longer hair. If it was mine i would take it outside and rinse it really good with plain water, staying away from painted areas and areas with short hair, like the face and lips. then blow it out with a shop vac reversed to blow and fluff it up. that should take care of it. If it is salt residue it will continue to "sweat" when conditions are right for it. Like when it rains or is real humid.

7. what kind of humidifiers do you all use, what size. we have a problem with humidity also

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Google dehumidifier. Either a 30 or 70 pint will work, depending on room size

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I would shampoo rinse and blow dry that elk Just like you would a mountain lion or bobcat. That will clean out all the salt residue.