1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Out of my league...repairing a fur coat

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by joeym, Oct 14, 2017.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

My neighbor bought his granddaughters fur coat over this afternoon. It has a rip in the middle of the back about 6" long. I didn't want to cut the inner liner to repair it from the inside, but I thought I could put a piece of material under it and super glue it down, making a neater Sean than sewing. Well, the super glue don't adhere to this leather and the patch for some reason. Suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You can try shoe goo. its flexible and should adhere it

I will add its probably on its way out. It probably never got proper care and is beginning to lose its essential oils and is starting to dry rot. So let them no its not a total fix but care should be given so no more tears and rips. It just maybe time to hang it uo

3. I tried to sew up some old fur stoles once. They were dry rotted. I ended up using a product for saddles. I think it was called leather mender or something like that. It was a glue. Got it at Fleet Farm. It worked pretty well. Flexible.

4. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Active Member

It's called Tear mender. I bought some years ago to repair some polar bear rugs. Val-a out of Chicago

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Thanks everyone!