1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thread?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by baconbits, Oct 16, 2017.

1. baconbits

baconbits New Member

I was wondering what everyone used to sew your mounts?
    I was using fishline,but it seems to stretch
    Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

30# Spiderwire. Its braided fishing line, so it will not stretch and it slips through the hole left by the needle very easy allowing you to go five or six stitches and then pull to tighten them. I use this on everything from quail to elk using just a single strand.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

X2! I use braided Spiderwire on gameheads, but use carpet thread on birds and small mammals.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Sinew ; It can be separated to fit your sewing needs . ;)

5. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I bought a spool of the waxed thread as used at the taxidermy school. How I'm using 14 to 40# braid line that's left over from my fishing reels.

6. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

I'm with Verne. Sinew works for me

7. I use VAN DYKE'S taxidermy pro cord. Have used it on deer, fish, and ducks. Thin and very strong.

8. Bowstring. Exactly what the suppliers call cape thread.

9. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Fireline works great, I've never felt the need to use anything else. Tried some others when I started out and didn't like them (dental floss, some threads sold by the suppliers, etc.)

10. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

A question for you folks using fishing line. Does it cut into your fingers? I normally mount 2 to 3 deer back to back and it would seem to me that my fingers would be cut to pieces by the end of the day.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Never been cut with Spider Wire. What would you be doing to cut your fingers?

12. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I usually take 4 or 5 stitches and sinch them up tight while holding the thread with my hands.

13. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

No problems with the fishing line cutting my fingers either. I sew really slowly, but even if I was faster, I don't see it causing a problem.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Ah, that makes sense. I do the same and have never cut my fingers.

15. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

50# powerpro for most everthing. 20 or 10 for repairs, the issue there is a small needle.

I have cut myself with it. Rarely it happens: only if my hands are wet/damp, I don't pay attention and let the thread find the "fold" in my finger when pulling the 4 or 5 stitches tight. (PS I sew like a flippin' machine, ha ha)

Everybody knows you double thread your needle and/or tie a knot there so you don't pull the needle off the thread right ?!? (was this a hijack?)