1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish ID Assistance

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jhunter13, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Evening all! I dont mount many fish, but my father caught an awesome trout today, and believes it to be a rainbow. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures look more like a tiger trout. What are your thoughts?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. A_Rayner

A_Rayner New Member

Looks like a lake trout, nice catch!

3. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

He is apart of a private fishing club. Only stocked with rainbows, brookies, brownies, and tigers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Defiantly not a laker.
    Ohhhhhhh Cecil....... where are you???

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Tiger trout.

6. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Absolutely a tiger.

7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Didn't i already tell you what it was a few hours ago?

8. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

tiger

9. Tiger trout!

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

He obviously does not believe you. LOL

11. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I try, and I try....

thank goodness he posted here. he was able to get a much more uniform consensus.....

12. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

hahahaha

13. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a kind of related question.

I posted a picture of this fish right around the time Cecil was just starting out with his first batch of Tigers and he said he might be able to give a better answer once he had some larger fish to compare with...

I caught this fish in a central PA limestoner consisting of mostly wild browns and occasional wild brookies. It is not stocked in the section that I fished, however it was stocked with browns in a few sections way upstream and some tributaries were also stocked with browns and tigers. I have been told by various people that it is an "odd strain" stocked brown and by others a tiger.

Anyone have any idea? Cecil?

Attached Files:

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's a tiger. Typically browns have spots -- not extended vermiculations.

Anybody else?

15. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I’m not near some of you guys when it comes to fish ID but it does look like a tiger. Perhaps it got more of the Browns coloration in that particular fish?

16. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

There are numerous different strains of brown trout, and quite a few different strains of brook trout as well.

Just speaking from here in Maine, there are 3 different strains that are stocked out in ponds, plus our naturalized strain.
    There are at least as many strains of brookies too, all have some different characteristics.

Genetics are a funny thing, so a tiger trout that comes from a Male Brookie x Female Brown may not look the same as a tiger that comes from a Female Brookie x Male Brown.

All that aside - yes, its a tiger.

17. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

I had never caught a tiger prior to this fish. When I caught it I was "100% sure" that it was a tiger trout. However, when I posted it on a local PA fishing forum I got a lot of local guys telling me that it was a stocked brown, as well as many others saying it was a tiger.

So... I sent the picture off to the local fisheries biologist and he said it appeared to be a brown trout with an odd pattern....??? I caught hundreds of wild and stocked browns and rainbows in central PA and never saw another fish even remotely similar this this one. So I am also convinced that it is a tiger. But when the fisheries biologist tells me its a brown trout... it leaves me wondering.

18. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Defiantly a Brownger
    LOL

19. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

I realize that hybrids are THEORETICALLY sterile, but its been proven in Tiger Muskies and Splake that a tiny percentage are still viable. Possible that its a Tiger X Brown breedback? Who knows.

20. Have to agree with Cecil. The fish shape and coloration looks very much like a standard brown trout but I've never heard of vermiculated spotting on them. I'm sure some tigers have a wide range of appearance from the parental fish.

Brian