1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish ID Assistance

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jhunter13, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm not putting down biologists but they don't know everything. And I've seen some say things that had me shaking my head. Just like any profession the proficiency and experience varies.

Had a biologist down here in Indiana misidentify a channel cat as a state record bullhead.

Also was at an aquaculture conference in Michigan where a Michigan biologist said Grass Carp are ineffective at weed control as they have such a short digestive tract. Being a herbivore species they have a very very long digestive tract.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The thing some people don't consider -- as you say -- is there can be a wide variation between the two parent species with the offspring. As in with tiger trout some looking more l like a brook trout and some looking more like a brown trout.

Tigers are very unique in that you are not only crossing two species but they are an inter-genus cross as in salmo X salvelinus. That's not nearly as common as a cross where two species share the same genuses.

Another interspecies cross was one in Denmark years ago crossing rainbow trout with arctic char. Surprisingly it actually worked well enough for some fish farmers to produce them. I haven't seen much on it as of late but haven't really looked.

4. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Ha ha.....actually posted here first. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Browns have much larger adipose generally

6. I watch this thread in amusement Why you ask. I see people putting a solid definition on a species.. Folks a few of you know what you are talking about but some of you repeat what is called redneck facts. Yes it is a tiger trout.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

We're all rednecks to the general public John.

8. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

Again, I believe the trout that I posted to be a tiger trout.

However, I do not say that with certainty like many of you do and I recognize that it could in fact be 100% brown trout.

Here is why I feel that way...

1. A Pennsylvania fisheries biologist told me with 100% certainty that this is a brown trout. Pennsylvania stocks an abundance of both tiger and brown trout annually.

2. When I show this picture to people (fisherman, taxidermists, biologosts) the vast vast majority of them immediately identify the photo as a tiger trout with absolute certainty. With the exception of one demographic, those from the above list which are from central PA (where this fish was caught). When this same picture was posted on a PA fly fishing forum, I would say probably 90% of those who responded, immediately identified this fish as a brown trout with certainty. As did the majority of PA taxidermists that I showed this picture to. So this type of pattern must be a characteristic of brown trout in PA hatcheries... or was at one point in time.

3. I never caught another fish in central PA of any species that looked at all like this fish. Even beyond that, I cannot find a picture on the entire world wide web of any brown, tiger, or any species of trout that looks like the photo of the fish I posted.

So I guess my point is that I don't have a clue what species this fish is. I posted the picture here anticipating the responses that I got (tiger trout for sure) because I have showed this picture to many many people over the 2 years since I caught this fish and most say tiger. I just wanted to see of anyone would argue brown trout, and perhaps provide an example of a time when I brown trout might sport tiger like markings....

Thank you to everyone who responded!

9. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

All anyone can really do is state what they believe it is without a DNA test. There can always be a spontaneous mutation in color pattern or even the (rare!) possibility of a fertile tiger trout! Sometimes nature finds a way, there have been fertile mules before. All I know is that I learned a LONG time ago is to keep an open mind and NEVER say "NEVER"!

~S

P.S. If it's for a mount, just paint it like the reference, and tell the customer that it's a "fantastic trout"!

10. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,3901.0.html

looks pretty much exactly like the ones in the fish ref pics

11. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

Exactly like this fish I posted? Or the one in the original post?

12. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

original post

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ditto!

14. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

I wonder if even Cecil will know what this is?

Attached Files:

15. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

I think I know what that one is, can I venture a guess, Sotired?

16. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

That's why I posted it. :)

~S

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Looks kind of like a marble trout or a Marimated Brown Trout like the one below. I give up what is it?

[​IMG]

18. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Salmo Marmoratus or Marble Trout! Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Native to 3 river systems in Europe, this one was caught in Italy.

Just for fun, I figured you guys would know it.

~S

19. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Ah bummer, Beat me to the punch! I was gonna say marble , too. Super impressive looking fish!

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I read somewhere years ago they were planted in a lake Minnesota but never took.