1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you salt and dry buffalo hide in winter

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Wiyakaska, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Wiyakaska

Wiyakaska New Member

I was wondering how to salt and dry a buffalo hide in the winter, since the salt doesn't keep the hide from rotting if the temperature is freezing. Ive done one before but i had an empty basement room to dry the hide in. But now I only have a shed that I can keep it in but no room in the basement.

2. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I guess I don't know where you heard that you can't salt in the winter time. Once skinned I always immediately salt, whether in the field, in my shop, or in a cold location. Once that salt gets that initial penetration and you let that drain overnight and resalt again you will be fine. It should not freeze in a salted state; if it does happen to then at least the salt has penetrated and cold enough to not spoil/slip.

3. x2 Twin Rivers

4. Wiyakaska

Wiyakaska New Member

Ok...i just understood that if it's freezing temperatures, the salt won't do it's job to keep the bacteria from causing the fur to slip, yet the salt will keep the hide from freezing...hence that's why you don't put a salted hide in the freezer lest you want a rotten hide...

5. I salted dozens of bison hides for years in freezing temps. Still salt other hides today in freezing temps. No different then any other time of year. Never had a single problem.

6. Wiyakaska

Wiyakaska New Member

Ok cool...thanks...