1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Sasky_bowhunter, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Sasky_bowhunter

Sasky_bowhunter New Member

I am just starting out and learning and am looking for information. My local feed shop only carries cubed water softener salt, and bagged blue stock salt. The bagged stuff is 97% pure but has a small amount of iodine and cobalt added. Is this blue salt safe to use to salt hides??

2. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

You want fine salt , like what you would use on your kitchen table. I am sure they can order it for you. The feed stores around here usually have Morton purex salt , or Top flow salt

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Active Member

Go to tractor supply and get their stock salt. It's like table salt.

4. Sasky_bowhunter

Local feed shop is a co-op and they can not get anything else in. And the closest tractor supply from is probably 8 hours. I am in Canada. I will try the city and look around.

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I have used canning salt that you can buy in grocery store. For large amounts I buy at local feed store.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Regular table salt will work in a pinch, even, iodized table salt will work.

7. Sasky_bowhunter

The manager at my local feed shop. a Co-op here in Canada said they only carry certain things and they just had softener salt and stock salt (blue stuff). So I kept looking. And go figure, the feed shed guy, calls me on my cell today after I asked him also about just plain ol' salt, and he tells me that he is at the central warehouse today and he sees a pallet of 20 bags (55lbs each) of plain salt. He says I can have them, and he'll send them back to the warehouse at our local store, but only if I take all 20 and get them this afternoon. I ask about a price, and he says, "I don't know, how does $5 a bag sound?".

So yeah, I have 1100lbs of salt in my shop now. HA

Thank you everyone for he info and help on avoiding the stock salt (blue) and sticking out trying to find plain salt. Looks like I lucked out!!