1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antlers becoming chalky??

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jfake, Oct 24, 2017.

1. jfake

jfake Member

I have had a few deer where the antlers are becoming almost chalky and some have broken. I am doing everything right. I was wondering maybe its because the antlers are above the water line and the steam from my degreasing is making them weak. Should the antlers be completely submerged? I live in northern Canada and obviously it gets cold here so i have to keep an air tight lid on my tanks. Any help here would be great
    TIA

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

What are you using to degrease them?

3. jfake

jfake Member

Dawn soap and water at 120.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What do you mean "Doing everything right"? I live in MN and degrease my skulls in an unheated garage, with antlers sticking up and haven't had that issue.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

How are you cleaning them before you degrease?

6. steamvalley

steamvalley some cleaned and dipped skulls

Just my 2 cents but you have a temperature issue 120 degree water will not degrade horn. You are either simmering or boiling and seeing the after affects when degreasing or you are degreasing at a much higher temperature than you think. My tanks don’t produce any steam while degreasing.

7. jfake

jfake Member

All of my skulls are cleaned with beetles. I would never boil or simmer as this is a rookie move. And the temp is checked regularly. I have an ink bird Tstat and we double check the temp with a laser thermometer. When I degrease the heads they are 4'X4'X4' tubs that are insulated But I cover the top to prevent evaporation. I may have miss worded my last comment. Its not so much steam as water vapour.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Is it possible that any of these antlers were still in velvet when killed?

9. jfake

jfake Member

Nope. One was a moose from last year and one was an old elk we redid. The elk was out side for a couple years so I figure its from sun. but the bull moose was very fresh.