1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tagging system

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sasky_bowhunter, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Sasky_bowhunter

Sasky_bowhunter New Member

Wondering what you all use when you get in a hide/horn set from someone and you need to keep them all straight. And have a hide tagged, and sent to the tannery with multiple other hides, and have them still tagged and straight when they get back?

Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    2 tags are filled out when a antlered or horned and even bears, as the hunter usually wants the skull with info including work order. One attached to antlers etc, the other to the skin or bag if it is frozen or needs to be. Once skin is fleshed, it is punch coded with that number written on the 2 tags.

3. Sasky_bowhunter

Sasky_bowhunter New Member

Ya, I was looking at tyvek tags. They are weatherproof and chemical resistant. Two tags filled out identical. For hide one for horns.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Tags on horns, antlers and skulls while hides get punch coded. A tag stays with the hide while in my shop, but, when I send it out to be tanned, the tag comes out and the punch code of course stays with the hide through out the tanning process. When I get them back I replace the tag.

5. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

What do you all use for punch coding system? Is there a specific tool you prefer or simply free hand it?

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A sharpened screw driver or an awl works, just start at 2 and go up from there.

7. I use a paper type tag on the antlers and I use one of the tough tags I think from research on the cape with plastic wire ties. The number also goes on the paperwork. I dont punch code anymore . I ask the tanner to but the tag number on the bag the wet tanned cape is in.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use plastic tags and zip tie one to the ear canal and one to the antlers. I also punch a number in each hide that is usually the first or last 3 digits of the person's phone number just in case the tag comes off in the tanning process.