1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What kind of fish is it??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by wildlife-artist, Oct 25, 2017.

1. You are both right and wrong......this sounds like I work for the government. Yes the species name of salmo gairdneri was changed in '89 to oncorhynchus mykiss (the mykiss name had been used earlier for rainbow trout.....these species names....as with the Pacific salmon.... all come historically from the Koryuk people on the Kamchatka Peninsula). But there are several subspecies of rainbows recognized of which the two largest divisions are the Coastal rainbow....o.mykiss irideus found natively only in the western coastal states.....and the Columbia River Redband trout....o. mykiss gairdneri found in the inland area of the west coast. Each subspecies has a distinct steelhead type. Most of the early generations of hatchery steelhead were mostly off the coastal variety. I'm done pontificating......

Brian

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

O.K. got it. People get so easily P.O.'d here you never know!

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Got it. Did you know the feds were already planting steelhead raised from eggs on the west coast into the Great Lakes around the turn of the 20th century?

4. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Cecil, you're my bud, you never P me off! I just take a puerile delight in playing with words, but sometimes it's mis-understood when typed.

~S

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No worries! I've developed a thick skin here anyway.

6. Cecil you are so right. I did a little research and according to my reference source steelhead were stocked in these states and year:

Illinois......1893

Indiana....1889

Michigan..1876

Wisconsin.1884

Wow......that's a long time for all of them.

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Steelhead