1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tagging

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by steewrestler, Oct 25, 2017.

1. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

what do you all use to keep horns and capes numbered with paperwork?

I would like to keep the tag on while in the pickle and salt so that if checked by the game warden the number is always attached that show what hide and horns go with what wildlife resource document

wanted to know what everyone else uses.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    punch code, it will not fade or disappear.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep, punch code!

4. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

what do you mean by a punch code?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Take a sharp awl or I use a screw driver that I sharpened to a point and punch holes in the cape near the back. Every year I start at 2 and go up from there.

6. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

ah I understand thanks has anyone ever used ear tags and zipp tied them to the hide

7. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I use the tyvex tags with matching numbers & customer name on the hide and antlers. With a permanent marker the writing stays on the tag during tanning. Then when I mount both tags go on the finished mount.

I also put the date received, fleshed, pickled, & tanned on the back of the tag.

8. John L

John L Active Member

where do you get those tags? Also, does the marker not fade in the pickle?

9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

John,
    I ordered them from Mckenzie, if I remember right 100 tags are about $15. I still haven't used all of them! But then I use a regular shipping tag with string for the antlers...... I use them on all the animals I take in. I usually tan 1-2 at a time, I have clothes pins mounted above the pickle vats that I put the tag on and when I am done pickling & final fleshing I put the tag back on. I have used them n the pickle and they fade a little. but are still readable....

10. you can order those Tyvek tags from Uline for around $40.00 a thousand and I use a 11 inch cable tie part # S-12396 fits eyelet hole perfectly through them also.
    Great system

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i took poker chips and # them. did 2 of each number with a marker. one goes with cape the other with antlers. then marked down with owner name & # in log book.

12. JuJu Bee

JuJu Bee New Member

Punch code and tag...if you`re doing it for easy ID. Tyvek tags will not fade in a pickle but tanning oils can. Small Nickle size agriculture tags with zip ties in ear butts work. If you really want to get crazy you can order pre numbered tags from the Uline catalog and can order 2 or 3 sets of the same numbers. But always punch code as a tag can fall off in tanning.

13. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

For in house I use tyveck tags and a permanent marker. Hides I send out also get numbered red plastic truck seals.