1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3rd bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by steewrestler, Oct 25, 2017.

1. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

my 3rd bird trying to learn all I can what do I need to work on? I know I should have taken more pictures but what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Great start. Just a couple things. The head neck junction is a little off. The neck comes out of the back of the skull but it pivots there when the head is up and comes more straight down from the skull not out and down. That's why you have an elongated looking head. Now lets get to the part a lot of folks struggle with . . . it looks as though the birds were either still oily or not dried completely. When you have your Duck clean and dried( you have to dry the outer feather but more importantly the down under those feathers) the feather tracts should almost fall into place. With that being said head and body being the right size is crucial. Ok on the positive side cause that's important also. Your birds have good balance, wings are in the side pockets and nice flow to the mounts and habitat. When you skin out a duck keep the head neck next to you and you can manipulate it to the pose your trying to do and it will show you a lot then follow what you're seeing. Great start keep at it and try to make the next one better than the one before.

3. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

thank you so much for taking the time to write that critique I sure appreciate the tips and will use them next time
    thank you

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

The bill is painted like a drake mallard and you have a hen from the looks of the pic. Just saying.

5. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

I may be wrong.... but if you're starting to do birds... you're post to mount them in flying.. it's post to be easier..