1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rugging with shell

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Deercreek, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Deercreek

Deercreek Deer creek taxidermy

doing first rug request ill be sending it to a rugger but want to finish the shell here in shop. i have one rugger that wants me to send hide they rug it, then ill put in shell, then send it back and they finish it. that seems a bit odd to me but this will be my first rug. what is the normal process for this, can i just do my wet tan, mount the face and then send it to the rugger without all the ship and reship?!

2. Cannot rub it then put the shell in it.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Find another rugger. Mount the head as usual, let it dry and at this point you can do the finish work and paint, then send to rugger or do the finish work when it gets back from the rugger.

4. dcooper

dcooper Member

I agree with the other comments, but when I do a rug, I'll have the hide dry tanned. Once I get it back, rehydrate the head only and mount the rug shell.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep, dry tan is what I did. When I sent it to the rugger, it meant that I rehydrated it, made relief cuts, stretched the hide on plywood and sewed the relief cuts. When it dried I "sent" it to the rugger, which meant I handed it over to my wife and her sewing machine.

A dry tan, which means a soft tan not DP, was the best way for us to handle them.