1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

l for tips for mounting great grey owl

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Acltaxidermy, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Acltaxidermy

Acltaxidermy New Member

I have not strayed far from big game taxidermy and have only completed a few birds. just wondering if anyone has any tip for skinning great grey owl? mostly the head, I know it can not be flipped so a cut is need up the back of the skull ? any advice would be fantastic !

2. I did a Great Horned for the county awhile back and I don't think I had to make any relief cuts for the head. Amazing animals, the eye balls set in tubs like binoculars.

3. Acltaxidermy

Acltaxidermy New Member

Thanks !!!

4. nate

nate Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. Don’t think you need a relief cut. I’ve mounted three owls and don’t remember having to do it, but it’s been a while. Just go easy, and if have to then you have to.
    I think I’d make the cut underneath, it’d be easier to hide!

5. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Agreed, you should not have to make any relief cuts. A tip for owls: keep the sclerotic rings, it will make your eye set much more accurate (and much easier). You'll see when you skin it out that the eyes have bony rings in them (as all bird eyes do). The rings in owl eyes are much more robust than other types of birds, they are wide and cone-shaped. Remove the eyes and drain them, then cut away the cornea and soft sclera on the back. Remove everything inside and clean them of all fleshy tissue. Then, when you set the eyes, place them back in the skull and set the glass eyes in them. For added accuracy, take lots of pictures and measurements of the skinned head before you remove the eyes. You can also inject the eyes with water using an insulin syringe to plump them up to where they would be in life, then your measurements will be much closer to a live owl rather than a dead one. Best of luck, and enjoy! That's a real treat of a specimen to get to mount.

6. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Or use a cast head. The eye cartilage is built into it for you and much less messy