1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"ivories" on whitetail

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by PSUturf91, Oct 27, 2017.

1. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm usually lurking over on the fish taxidermy page, however I come here with a question about a Whitetail Euro mount I just picked up from the taxidermist the other day. I noticed that the skull (small year and a half old buck) had what appeared to be a canine tooth. Knowing that Elk have "ivories" I assumed that this is what it was, but I also had no idea that whitetails expressed this same phenomenon. So I looked it up and found that it is apparently very rare. Just curious how many of you guys have seen this before?

Attached Files:

2. BeerHunter14

BeerHunter14 Member

I usually average 1-2 for every hundred skulls over the years...

3. jfake

jfake Member

Very cool. I know ivories fall out when degreased I wonder if these will stay in place..

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

They come up from time to time and there are several posts on deer with canines or fangs in this section. If they do fall out, they are easily glued back into place. Unlike elk ivories, which are actually ivory and worth a few dollars, deer canines have no value.

5. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

One of them was actually missing when I got it back. Perhaps it fell out when it was degreased. The one that remains seems to be in there pretty good.