1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shop lights

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pir^2h, Oct 29, 2017.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I was at Lowes earlier and saw these GE four foot LED bulbs that can be plugged into a standard florescent fixture. I had previously purchased a four foot Utilitech fixture ($50.00) and I think LED are the way to go. More light, less energy consumption. Has anyone had any experience with these? I am wanting to upgrade my shop a little at a time. The GE's are eight bulbs for $54.95. A substantial savings over replacing the entire fixture...if they work as promised. So I am looking for any feedback from anyone who has used these. How do they perform? Would you buy them again? Thanks!

Vic

2. I bought some lights to replace my fluorescent bulbs awhile back. Not sure if the are LED. Got them at Menards and they were listed as daylight ( natural spectrum light) made by Verilux. Made fish painting much easier. I had a problem getting colors to dark with fluorescent bulbs.

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I tried that route with LED bulbs to replace my T-8's and they were an improvement however you still have the standard ballasts in the troffer style lights. It is my understanding that the ballasts are responsible for a fair share of your energy consumption. I recently pulled my old troffers out and replaced them with flush mount LED's and those are incredible. Four , 2x4 fixtures in the main room put out more light than 6 lights did before and require about 25% of the energy. They are expensive but it only hurts once and I won't have to get on a ladder changing out lights or ballasts in my lifetime.

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

pir^2h,

I upgraded to LED in my 4' light in my shop/mounting area, I still have 4 florescent bulbs in the area too, for comparison. The LEDs are indefinitely brighter than the florescent. My configuration is 4' bulbs in 3 8' fixtures for a total of 12 T-8 bulbs. With the LEDs my work area is brighter than it was with the straight florescent bulbs. when I get time Going to change the other 4 out to LED. I also have LED spots in my showroom to highlight mounts at night that I have had on since I opened my shop, and have never turned them off (5 years now) and they are still going strong!
    LED is the way to go..... Electric bill is almost the minimum every month.

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
  6. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

That's where I got mine too John! Replacing all of my shop lighting a little at a time.....

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Not the same thing but I replaced by boat trailer lights this year witH LED lights. Will never go back. Trouble free, water proof and brighter!

8. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

AMEN Cecil!! I built the bow & stern lights on my boat before they had LED bulbs, I think that was about 6 years ago and still working. then replace all the interior lighting with LEDs. I also put them on my trailer when I rewired it. very much trouble free & Brighter to boot!