1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shot size for bird taxidermy

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Goobie, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Goobie

Goobie New Member

Hi everyone, I'd like to know what is the best shot size for mallards that does the least amount of damage? BB because there less of them or # 4 because they are smaller. Thanks.

2. nate

nate Active Member

In my experience, it makes no difference

3. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Dishot distance is key.... less pellets and less potential damage. IMO I would hand retrieve. Dogs tend to not help the condition of a kill

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    T or F shot for teal and let the dog chew on it for a while, isn't that how most people do it? In all seriousness, choke, distance and bird size are more important considerations than shot size. I use 4s for most ducks and 2 or bb for geese, improved cylinder over decoys, modified for longer shots. If you are on with your shooting, it is almost impossible to avoid any head or neck damage, but that is part of the deal.

5. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I use Kent #6 on all ducks first two shots last is #2 for the long shots. Alot less damage with the #6's.

6. Goobie

Goobie New Member

I've been shooting # 4s and it seems that the wings are always busted up bad or a lot of feather damage occurs.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Shoot at the bill, you are shooting at the body. 4s are l the lightest I like to go, they will even kill geese in close over decoys. Shot placement is key. Some damage is inevitable. Our job as hunters is to kill as quickly as possible. Not all birds make good mounters that is the nature of the beast.

8. Goobie

Goobie New Member

That is what I strive to do is to kill them quickly, I just started thinking why not make more use of the duck and mount some.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Remember my last statement. If they are for practice, then by all means mount a bunch but other than that why? You can't sell them.

10. Goobie

Goobie New Member

I will try shooting at the bill, I'm aware I can't sell them, It just adds to the whole experience for me, and it would be nice to not wreck a few when I shoot, as far as mounting goes.

11. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

LOL... 3bears

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Just hope you don't get some kids "first duck" that was a point blank skillet shot! They are always a nightmare.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wait Joey, they all seem to be that and harvested during a youth hunt, which usually falls much earlier than the regular season.

14. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Shot your birds at longer distances, with heavier shot, less damage.. learn that when steel first came out, not eating as many pellets.

15. It doesn't matter. They are usually shot up anyway.

16. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Active Member

NW Ohio
    Shoot them on the water.

17. I always try to water swap swimming away birds if I want to mount one