1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salting table or room

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jbtaxidermy, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jbtaxidermy

jbtaxidermy New Member

I've been salting my capes on the floor but looking to make a table or add on in the future and build a salt room.

Was curious what setups you guys have and what you recommend or would do different.

Im open to all ideas and even methods of your salting process as i'm always up for learning something new.

I have been looking through the search tab at previous posts for ideas

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I have a small room and it works for me. I have a bottom that traps all fluids and on the bottom it has a drain that accumulates the fluids as it drain from the above table which is chrome covered metal so the fluids drain off into the bottom (approximate 12" from the chrome ) I salt over night shake off then resalt and hang. As the cape hang any fluids again fall into the table and drains into a bucket . Its simple just have to think on it.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have a 10X10 ft Tuff Shed that I have a fleshing beam hinged to the wall as well as a slanted table which I attached a round plastic house gutter under the lower edge that slants down to a plastic tub, so all the juices and such drain into the tub and when I scrape the salt off, it goes right into the gutter and then is pushed down and into the tub too. I then have a large dowel and also a 2X4 I use to hang the capes to dry.

4. jbtaxidermy

jbtaxidermy New Member

Okay I built a salt table/rack and its working very well, but I've noticed that my shop floor seems to be very wet. Almost as if the salt is pulling moisture out of my concrete. Does any one else have this problem? What do you guys do in your salt rooms to "dry" them out?

5. an exopy concrete floor sealer might help you out there. The salt doesn't seem to bother our concrete floor, but it is sealed.