1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salting hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Sasky_bowhunter, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Sasky_bowhunter

Sasky_bowhunter New Member

I have a beaver pelt that I fleshed and have started salting. Plan to add more after 12 hours, and then swap for all new 12 hours after that. Etc. How long do you guys salt hides? Seems like it'd take weeks and weeks for them to dry just by laying on a table or pile and covered in salt. Do you guys salt for a few days, and then hang to dry the rest of the way? My understanding is the salting is to lock the hair into the follicles...is that correct? I see how everyone salts on YouTube, but didn't really see anyone say how long they leave them or hang them etc? Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My salting procedure is to salt pretty heavy on incline over night or roughly 12 hrs. Next I remove the salt and re-salt with less salt and hang to dry. I then wait until it is dry but pliable and fold. I put a fan on them to speed things up.

3. Sasky_bowhunter

Sasky_bowhunter New Member

Thanks! I will try that. My shop is cool right now, but maybe I'll bring them into the storage room to hang over a bucket until drier.