1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My 5th Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Boneyard33, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

At some point I will stop posting these as separate threads I promise! Still learning a lot with every mount I think

Attached Files:

2. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

-

Attached Files:

3. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

-

Attached Files:

4. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

-

Attached Files:

5. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

-

Attached Files:

6. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

-

Attached Files:

7. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

That's ahelluva fifth mount if you ask me!

8. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

As it was stated great mount. Just a question and it doesn't matter more curiosity than anything else. Under who's tutoring or training? Cause I'm here to tell you if you just grabbed a form and a cape plus some earliners 4 mounts ago and this is the result after the 5th on your own, you my friend are off to a rocking start and the sky's the limit on how good and far you can go. Even with help thats a great mount congratz!

9. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

For starters, I learned the basics from a youtube video from Marc Anthony. Then I was able to sit in with Eric Kibler for a few hours and watched how he put together a mount. I picked up a few tips there but the rest I just learned by studying other peoples mounts. Ty Dunkin, Neil Fowler, Stephen Klee, to name a few. Thanks for the compliments. I've been an artist, painting and drawing deer for most of my life so maybe that has helped. Im starting to get a few heads in the shop now but I will still only take in a dozen heads or so this year. Definitely don't want to do it for a living...too much work! Maybe someday I will put one in a competition but that will probably take a while before Im that good. There are a lot of mistakes I make im sure...

10. AHO

AHO New Member

I've just finished my 5th mount and it is a far cry from what you are doing I'm here to tell you. Very well done. I do have a question for you...would you explain how this mount was photographed? Kind of a sideways question I know but I believe the photography is a critically important factor when advertising your art. Any an all detail would be appreciated. Thanks! Adam

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Funny you say that. I have a friend that is an extremely talented artist. After doing his first mount his thoughts were exactly the same!

12. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

I went to walmart and bought a couple yards of black fabric, like a microsuede or something. A little texture but something that wouldn't show wrinkles. I sprayed it with a water bottle, threw it in the dryer for 10 min to get the wrinkles out. I put the fabric behind the mount using clothes pins on a clothing display that I had in the shop. Opened the garage door so I could get some good natural light (cloudy/midday). Worked out much better than I thought. I have photoshop so I just blacked out the bar from the mount stand. Also, I used a nice Canon Camera which gives you very little, if any, "perspective effect" which I think is important. If you use the camera on your phone and get too close, the nose appears to be huge. If you do use a phone camera, back up quite a bit then zoom in and crop your image for best results. Good luck!

13. Agreed. If that is only your fifth mount you are one heck of a taxidermist with a bright future as well. Beautiful work. Keep up the good work.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

It does help to have an artist background and ability, taxidermy came very easy for myself for that reason,

15. I also have videos that I recorded off of YouTube from Marc Anthony but also from my friend and mentor, Rick Carter, Joe Coombs, Dennis Behn and others as well. Marc was/is a pretty gifted bow hunter and taxidermist from what I was able to tell and did some nice mounts.